Championship review: Brighton held, Reading climb

Date published: Saturday 26th September 2015 6:09

Sean Morrison scores Cardiff v Charlton TEAMtalk

Ten-man Brighton extended their lead at the top of the Championship but were denied a victory by Gary Madine’s stoppage-time header in a 2-2 draw at Bolton.

Chris Hughton’s side struck twice in four first-half minutes through Dale Stephens and Jamie Murphy, but Neil Danns pulled one back just before the interval with his first goal in almost a year.

Brighton played the last 15 minutes with 10 men after Murphy had been shown a straight red card for his foul on Danns and Madine made them pay when he headed home in the 94th minute.

Reading climbed into third place courtesy of a 2-1 win at Burnley, who went down to their first home defeat of the season.

The Royals raced into a two-goal lead as Nick Blackman fired his eighth goal of the season and midfielder Lucas Piazon scored his first for the club.

Burnley defender Tendayi Darikwa reduced the arrears in the 67th minute but Reading held on.

Jordan Rhodes’ stoppage-time header – his fifth goal in five matches – rescued a point for Blackburn in a 1-1 draw at Hull, who had taken a 73rd-minute lead through Abel Hernandez.

Ryan Fraser’s 86th-minute equaliser salvaged Ipswich a point from a 2-2 home draw against Bristol City, who were denied a second win of the season.

Defender Luke Chambers headed Ipswich into the lead and although the visitors hit back twice in three minutes through Luke Freeman and Jonathan Kodjia, Fraser levelled late on from inside the area.

Rotherham secured their first away win of the season with a 2-0 victory at Birmingham.

Matt Derbyshire put Rotherham ahead in the 32nd minute and on-loan midfielder Tony Andreu netted his first goal for the Millers in the 64th minute.

Cardiff climbed into the play-off places as Sean Morrison’s 76th-minute header clinched a 2-1 home win against Charlton.

Teenager Karlan Ahearne-Grant’s third goal of the season put Charlton ahead early in the second half but was cancelled out by Joe Mason in the 53rd minute.

Ten-man Brentford slipped to a 2-1 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, who also had a man sent off.

Wednesday striker Adthe Nuhiu converted a 37th-minute penalty after being hauled down by last man James Tarkowski, who was shown a straight red card.

Alan Judge fired the Bees level in the 77th minute and Wednesday substitute Jeremy Helan was dismissed for a second yellow-card offence soon after, but Lucas Joao struck for the visitors in the 90th minute.

Kevin McDonald’s stoppage-time equaliser clinched a 1-1 draw for Wolves at nine-man Preston.

Preston midfielder Daniel Johnson scored for the third game running and his fifth of the season to give his side an early lead, but home striker Joe Garner was shown a straight red card for his foul on Danny Batth in the 19th minute.

Defender Bailey Wright was sent off for a second bookable offence in the 81st minute and then McDonald denied Preston their first home win of the season.

Derby struck late goals through Darren Bent and Thomas Ince in the lunchtime kick-off at MK Dons to secure their third away success of the season with a 3-1 win.

Dons winger Josh Murphy cancelled out Bradley Johnson’s second-half opener for Derby but the home side conceded in the 89th and 96th minutes to crash to their sixth straight defeat in all competitions.

Related Articles