Chelsea take firm stance over midfielder as Prem duo jostle for position

Date published: Sunday 18th July 2021 10:03 - Neil Foster

Conor.Gallagher.Declan.Rice_.West_.Brom_.2021.TEAMtalk1

Crystal Palace and Newcastle United have been put on red alert with Chelsea ready to sanction another loan move for midfielder Conor Gallagher.

The 21-year-old has been with the Blues since the age of eight. He has played many games for the club’s various youth teams but has yet to make a senior appearance. The west Londoners have allowed him to gain experience out on loan over the past couple of seasons.

The Epsom-born ace spent the first half of the 2019-2020 campaign with Charlton Athletic. He racked up 25 starts among 26 Championship outings, scoring six goals, and impressed then Addicks boss Lee Bowyer.

The former Leeds United star said at the time: “His work-rate is unreal, he puts his foot in for tackles and he can also see a pass.”

That loan was cut short in January last year, with Chelsea then sending him to Swansea to complete the campaign. And he was again a busy man, with 21 second-tier starts for the Welsh outfit.

It was hoped the England Under-21 ace might see some playing time at Stamford Bridge after his time in Wales. But another loan move beckoned, with the talented schemer sent to West Brom for 2020-2021.

The capital outfit clearly rate the youngster as he penned a new five-year contract in September last year. And he then impressed at the Hawthorns, with 28 top-flight starts for Sam Allardyce’s side.

But it was not enough, with the former England chief suffering his first relegation as a manager.

At the time, ‘Big Sam’ said: “If we stay in the Premier League, I’d hope he’d be here next season not at Chelsea.

“I think he’d be better off having another season with us rather than the competition and size of Chelsea’s squad.”

Gallagher is back at the Bridge but it seems there is no place for him in Thomas Tuchel’s side. He has been training with he squad and featured in a 6-1 pre-season triumph over Peterborough.

The Sun are reporting that he will be allowed another temporary stint away but Chelsea do not want to sell.

Two-way fight on cards for Gallagher

Both the Magpies and Eagles have been linked with the youngster in the past. Palace were first mentioned as possible suitors back in March.

Thomas Tuchel Chelsea Champions League May 2021

And they rekindled their interest in June before Steve Bruce became involved in the equation. It remains to be seen what happens but Chelsea will want him to see as much action as possible in 2021-22.

READ MORE: Chelsea leading Kane transfer race with Levy more receptive to Blues offer

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM