Chelsea risk losing star over latest contract offer

Date published: Monday 4th February 2019 10:03

Willian Cesar Azpilicueta TEAMtalk

Chelsea are facing up to the prospect of losing Willian in the summer after reportedly refusing to offer him more than a 12-month contract extension.

The club have been reluctant to change their policy of offering only one-year contract extensions to players in their 30s over the last few years and even under new manager Maurizio Sarri that seems unlikely yo change.

Chelsea and Willian, who is 30, are understood to have held informal discussions about a new deal with his contract contract set to expire in the summer of 2020.

The Brazilian, according to UOL, is demanding a new three-year deal, which would take his time at Stamnford Bridge to 10 years, but the Blues are only believed to be offering another year for the winger.

Discussions between the parties are currently deadlocked, but Willian’s agent Kia Joorabchian is trying to work on a deal with the conversation “not closed”.

Willian has played in 24 of the 25 Premier League games for Chelsea this season, scoring three times and creating five assists.

He has made 273 appearances for Chelsea and the club fought hard to keep him last summer when there was rival interest from Barcelona and Manchester United. 

And more recently El Mundo Deportivo were are one of a number of papers that stated Barcelona were open to the idea of moving Malcom on in January and, had been in contact with Chelsea to offer him to the Blues as part of a fresh attempt to lure Willian to Catalonia.

The wideman has always stated his desire to say at Chelsea and last month after the win over Newcastle, he said: “My future is at Chelsea!”

And Sarri also confirmed his future was at the club. He said: “Willian is very important for us. I think he has to stay with us.”

Get the latest personalised Blues products on our new TEAMtalk Chelsea shop!

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM