Chelsea star turned down top European club to stay at Stamford Bridge

Date published: Wednesday 25th August 2021 1:00 - Dan Burnham

Hakim Ziyech celebrates for Chelsea

A journalist has claimed Chelsea star Timo Werner turned down interest from a top European club this summer in favour of staying at Stamford Bridge.

Werner’s less than ideal start to life at the Blues has been well documented. He has not impressed in front of goal but his work rate has been a redeeming quality. Nevertheless, elite football is ruthless. A report last month suggested his position at the club was not secure.

Although Chelsea were not actively seeking a buyer, it was said that they were looking for an ‘appropriate opportunity’ to sell the German international.

And now it has been revealed that appropriate opportunity did present itself to the European champions.

BILD journalist Christian Falk has tweeted last season’s Serie A winners Inter Milan were recently interested in Werner.

However, he claims the player decided to stay in west London instead of moving on.

The 25-year-old’s intentions were made clear back in June by his agent Karlheinz Forsterbe.

He told Sport1 (via the Metro): “You can’t rule out anything but if I had to assess it at the moment, then I would say very clearly that Timo will stay at Chelsea.

“He feels comfortable there. A move will not be an issue in the foreseeable future.”

Timo Werner during friendly between Chelsea and Tottenham in August 2021

And they have seemingly not changed. Having signed a five-year contract upon his arrival at the club last year, his stance is understandable.

Chelsea fans will be hoping he can find form alongside now first-choice frontman Romelu Lukaku this season.

Werner was positive about the Belgian’s arrival and believes he can benefit from a big-man-small-man partnership.

Chelsea have clear path to Saul

Meanwhile, Chelsea have progressed into pole position to make a late midfield addition to their squad.

That’s because Manchester United are not in the running to make a late bid to sign Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez.

 

The Daily Mail report that United “are distancing themselves from an imminent move” for the Atletico man.

The Manchester Evening News also claims that a deal for Saul is “unlikely” and that Chelsea may well have a free run to sign the player.

READ MOREChelsea and Tottenham poised for talks over winger with £68m release clause

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM