Chelsea target highlights two factors as summer Bundesliga exit looms

Date published: Monday 26th April 2021 1:26 - Matthew Briggs

Matthias Ginter TEAMtalk

Reported Chelsea target Matthias Ginter says there are a number of considerations which could force him out of the Borussia Monchengladbach exit door this summer.

Inter Milan have been linked with the 27-year-old defender, while Chelsea and Liverpool have been mentioned as suitors in the Premier League. Inter Milan are keen to tempt club and player by offering big money to both parties to get a deal done. However, Chelsea are ready to rival them for his signature. According to Kicker last summer, Chelsea possess a “concrete interest” in Ginter.

Previous to that Liverpool were linked with Ginter as they looked for a replacement for Dejan Lovren.

Now though the classy defender’s exit from Monchengladbach looks more likely than ever with his contract up in 2022.

Ginter, speaking about his future, admitted his preference was to play in Europe, but that dream could be dying.

Monchengladbach sit seventh in the Bundesliga table, but with just three games remaining their Europa League hopes are hanging in the balance.

If the Bundesliga club miss out on Europe then that could signal the end of his four years with Gladbach.

Borussia Monchengladbach are also looking for a head coach. Marco Rose will leave to join Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season and Gladbach have yet to fill the vacancy.

Ginter has told Sky Deutschland: “Basically everyone wants to play in Europe.

“But there are a few other criteria that play a role. That’s why we’ll see what happens with the coaching team.

“There have been no talks about it yet. I’m very, very open to staying here.”

Ginter has made over 130 appearances for Gladbach, including an ever-present Bundesliga record this season. He was recently named captain against Frankfurt and Hoffeinheim and has two goals to his name this season.

Meanwhile, Raphael Varane cleverly swerved questions about his future on Monday.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Varane dodges future questions

Raphael Varane TEAMtalk

Varane and Zinedine Zidane were speaking ahead of the first leg of Madrid’s Champions League semi-final against the Blues on Tuesday in Madrid. The news conference was though dominated by Florentino’s Perez’ involvement in the European Super League, and Varane’s future.

According to Mundo Deportivo, there is a high possibility the France defender will leave Real Madrid this summer and the Premier League could be his next destination.

Varane is yet to renew a contract that expires in 2022. Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with the 28-year-old, with the LaLiga side apparently looking to get £61m for the player.

Perez even signalled the club’s intention to let Varane leave last week.

He told EL Larguero: “I’m happy of our team. We have a great defence, a great midfield, but yes we have to do something in the attack.

“[Varane?] If players don’t want to stay at Madrid they can leave.”

Varane though refused to be drawn on his future.

“I am focused on the end of the season,” said Varane. “If I have a message to the fans it’s that my commitment is 100 per cent with the team and I’ll give it my best.

“We have a quite exciting end to the season, beautiful challenges that motivate us a lot. And I’m focused on giving it my best on the field.”

READ MORE: EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea, Man Utd monitoring impactful Brighton prospect

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM