Chelsea in pole position for €70m man, who opens up over transfer talk

Date published: Tuesday 4th May 2021 1:17 - Matthew Briggs

Jules Kounde TEAMtalk

Jules Kounde has responded to transfer speculation after Chelsea emerged as a serious contender to sign the centre-back over the weekend.

Last month, according to La Colina De Nervion, Chelsea entered the battle for Kounde. The Sevilla centre-back was understood to be one of Manchester United’s top defensive targets. Since then Eric Bailly has signed a new contract and there have been suggestions that United are prioritising their attacking options this summer.

Over the weekend La Razon also claimed Chelsea were keen on Kounde.

The Blues are looking for a long-term successor to Thiago Silva. The Brazilian is out of contract at the end of the season, but has impressed and may earn a one-year extension.

In fact La Razon claim Thomas Tuchel’s men are “very interested” in signing the centre-back.

Kounde has a €90m release clause and his LaLiga club are aware no suitor will be meeting that price in the next market.

Sevilla however are willing to allow the Frenchman’s summer sale if there’s an offer of around €70m.

Kounde was asked about his future over the weekend.

“It’s hard, I have a lot of ambition and good… I have to measure what’s best for me, there’s still a few months left and we’ll see what happens.

“I feel good also here and staying in Seville will not be a bad choice either,” he told Mucho Deporte via Sport Witness.

La Razon believe it’s a straight battle between Chelsea and Real Madrid for the 22-year-old.

Los Blancos are said to be lining up a replacement should Sergio Ramos or Raphaal Varane decide to leave in the summer.

Chelsea meanwhile, want a long-term replacement for Silva and are the “best positioned team” to acquire Kounde’s services.

The Blues though will try and include some of their own fringe players as part of the operation.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Donnarumma transfer latest

Meanwhile, Chelsea’s hopes of signing AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma have been hit with the news that Juventus are now in the picture.

Donnarumma is about to complete his sixth season for the Rossoneri at the tender age of just 22. He has already clocked up 257 appearances in all competitions and been capped 25 times by Italy. The youngster looks certain to rewrite the record books and is one of the hottest properties in European football.

He will fall out of contract at the end of the season and Milan recently gave him an ultimatum. The Italian giants want notice of his future plans by May 23, with big-name suitors waiting to pounce.

With no transfer fee to pay, the Blues were said to have offered him a huge deal to move to Stamford Bridge. But Manchester United have also been mentioned in connection with the youngster.

A move to the Premier League might appeal but Juve could be set to throw a spanner in the works. According to a report from Calciomercato, the youngster is now set to be targeted by the Old Lady.

READ MORE: Euro Paper Talk: Granovskaia green light to sign incredible £249m trio to transform Chelsea

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM