Chelsea contact agent, as Tuchel ponders bid for €30m defender

Date published: Wednesday 19th May 2021 4:46 - Matthew Briggs

Maxence Lacroix TEAMtalk

Chelsea have already registered their interest in Wolfsburg centre-back Maxence Lacroix after contacting the defender’s agent.

That transfer line has been uncovered by Sky Germany journalist Max Bielefeld, who says the German club sell this summer if the right price. Chelsea are believed to have initiated contact with the 21-year-old’s agent, probably after getting a tip off about not signing a new deal with the Bundesliga side.

Sky Sport have reported that that Lacroix has already turned down two contract extension offers from Wolfsburg. It’s not been confirmed by the club and Wolfsburg boss Jorg Schmadtke refused to address the subject last week.

“The only thing I can say on the matter is that the player still has a long contract with us,” Schmadtke told Sportbuzzer. 

That deal will run until 2024, so Wolfsburg are in a strong position. They are in no desperate rush to sell the highly-rated centre-back, but a fee of €30m will be enough to land him, per the source.

Dortmund have been linked with the player, but Wolfsburg say the player is out of their price bracket.

Schmadtke added: “I don’t think they have the financial means to buy him out of his contract.”

Chelsea are said to be “keeping an eye” on him and may well be preparing a summer move for the player.

Lacroix has made 29 Bundesliga appearances this season after joining Wolfsburg from French side FC Sochaux last summer for a €4.5m

The former France U20 coach has been a big hit for the fourth-placed side and Thomas Tuchel has been alerted to his progress.

Sky Sports report that Blues manager Tuchel “would like to sign at least one new defender” and Lacroix is certainly one player who has gobe under the radar, until now.

Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has warned Chelsea and Manchester City to forget any hopes they may have had of luring Joao Felix to the Premier League this summer.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Chelsea warned off Felix

The Portuguese forward is regarded as one of the brightest young talents in the world game. His rise looks set to be rewarded with Atletico on the brink of winning LaLiga. Their final game takes them to Valladolid and a win will guarantee Diego Simeone’s side the title.

However, they go into the game with something of a shadow lurking over them. That’s after it was claimed in the Spanish media that Joao Felix has fallen out with Simeone and will ask to leave this summer.

As a result, Felix – a €126m signing in summer 2019 – has been linked with moves to Chelsea and City. The Champions League finalists are both looking to strengthen their attacks this summer. City are seeking a replacement for the long-serving Sergio Aguero; Chelsea, meanwhile, need an upgrade on the misfiring Timo Werner.

However, despite Felix being yet to hit top gear fro Atletico, Cerezo is in no doubts over the player’s future.

“There’s no option for him to leave,” he told El Larguero, via Marca. “He has to adapt. The day he takes off will be one of the most important in the world of football.

“Players aren’t machines, they have good and bad days. He’ll give many afternoons of glory to this club.”

READ MORE: Tuchel fires warning to Chelsea stars despite ‘outstanding’ win

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM