Eriksen in scathing Tottenham attack as he reveals intriguing Man Utd talks

Date published: Wednesday 5th February 2020 10:48

Inter Milan midfielder Christian Eriksen has opened up on how he found the last few months of his time at Tottenham “hectic” and how he was painted as the “bad guy” in the Spurs changing room.

Having revealed in the summer following Spurs‘ defeat in the Champions League final how he was open to finding a new challenge, Eriksen was heavily linked with a move away from North London for months.

The Denmark international was then in and out of the team until his departure, with Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho revealing that he knew from the day he started in the job that Eriksen wanted to leave.

Eriksen eventually sealed a move to Inter during the January transfer window and has made two appearances for Antonio Conte’s side so far.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Eriksen opened up in detail about how he found the final few months of his tenure with Spurs.

“England, for the last few years, was very hectic,” the midfielder said. “After what I said in the summer, it was just about, ‘when is he going to leave?’

“Every game it was, ‘Is he leaving? Is he not leaving?’ Of course a lot of people were speaking about it.

“Even the fans you see on the street were like, ‘Thank you, goodbye and good luck’. But I was still there. It was a bit weird. In my head and for my body, it is good that I am in a new place and I can start again.

“I wouldn’t say it affected me. In England, when your contract is shorter, it is like you have to leave now. You are gone. In the end I played about 30 games that were like goodbye games.

“If you have a short contract, you will be the black sheep. Of course, I did the interview. I was very honest. I felt I had to be honest.

 

 

“I did get the blame for a lot of stuff, for being the bad guy. I read I was the bad person in the changing room, that ever since I said I wanted to leave, it was no good me being there.”

Eriksen was linked with a move to Manchester United prior to the links with Inter surfacing and the midfielder revealed that there were discussions held with the Red Devils about a move to Old Trafford.

“For a few years but it was never really likely,” he said. “We did speak to [United] of course and we did hear what was possible and what wasn’t possible.

“But, in the end, me personally, I wanted a new challenge. To stay in the Premier League would have been an easy solution.

“Of course, staying at Tottenham would also have been a solution but, for me, it just came down to wanting to try a new challenge in a new country. Once Inter came up it really wasn’t a difficult choice.”

Elsewhere, Mourinho has insisted that he would not follow Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp’s lead in allowing his senior players to be rested for the FA Cup replay against Southampton on Wednesday.

Klopp and his first-team stars were absent as Neil Critchley led Liverpool’s youngest ever side to victory against Shrewsbury Town at Anfield on Tuesday.

Mourinho said: “If you ask me if I prefer to play tomorrow [Wednesday] or already have the boys on holidays I prefer to play tomorrow.”

Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM