Crystal Palace striker Connor Wickham doubts his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday will be turned into a permanent one at the end of the season.
The 26-year-old rejoined the Owls on deadline day of the January transfer window. He has previously played for the club earlier in his career on two separate occasions.
In the six years since Wickham last played for Wednesday, the 26-year-old has struggled with injuries, failing to secure a regular starting position for Palace, a team that has struggled for goals in recent years. His fitness, he says, is the main reason for his latest move.
When questioned whether a permanent move could occur this summer, when he is due to enter the final year of his Crystal Palace contract, Wickham told BBC Radio Sheffield: “It depends on the situation at the time and what’s on the table.
“I’ve still got a year left at Palace. I think the intention is to go back to Palace. The chairman (Steve Parish) has made that quite clear to me.
“So as far as I’m concerned from Crystal Palace’s side this is for me to get the fitness, the development and whatever happens after that is for the future to hold. We’ll see what happens.”
Wickham played in five of Palace’s last seven games prior to his departure, but only once from the beginning.
His move to Sheffield Wednesday, who have also struggled for goals in the absence of Steven Fletcher, should see Wickham get some valuable minutes under his belt.
The striker was first linked with Watford, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City in the transfer window but ultimaely chose Wednesday as Garry Monk was the first to register interest.