Conte opens up over Chiellini to Chelsea transfer rumours

Date published: Tuesday 2nd January 2018 6:25

Giorgio Chiellini will finish his career at Juventus and won’t be joining Chelsea, according to Antonio Conte.

The centre-back played under Conte for both Juve and the Italy national side, winning three Serie A titles with the Italian coach between 2011 and 2014.

And speculation has been rife that Conte is keen to bring the 33-year-old to Stamford Bridge with David Luiz potentially on his way out of the Premier League club.

When asked whether there was any truth in the rumours that Chelsea could sign the defender, Conte said: “No. Giorgio is a good player but he’ll want to finish his career at Juventus.

“It’s right to finish his career in this way. As a coach you are faced with many speculations.

“Some speculations are true but others are only speculation, for us, I think in this period we must be focused on our target, we have a tough game against Arsenal.”

And Chiellini’s comments earlier this week seem to back up Conte’s insistence that he is set to remain at Juventus.

“Extend my contract with Juventus? I’ll meet the club after the holidays to discuss the contract extension and I think that there won’t be any surprise,” he told Sky Italia.

“Juventus feels like family to me and I couldn’t be better.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM