Contract details revealed as Villa up offer and agree deal for midfielder

Date published: Saturday 23rd January 2021 2:14 - James Marshment

Aston Villa are reportedly set to secure the signing of Morgan Sanson in the next 48hours after Marseille relented over their demands for the midfielder.

The 26-year-old midfielder has been on Villa’s radar for some time. Having watched him since their promotion in 2019, Dean Smith’s side made their move this week.

Villa are looking to add to their midfield after allowing Conor Hourihane depart for Swansea.

However, Villa reportedly saw an initial bid of €13m, plus €3m in bonuses, rejected by the Ligue 1 club.

“We had a very, very weak offer from Aston Villa which we turned down. It was pathetic,” OM boss Andre Villas-Boas told French TV channel Telefoot Chaine after Marseille’s 1-0 defeat by Lens.

“I hope that he (Sanson) continues to remain professional.”

It was reported, however, that Villa remained hopeful over a deal for Sanson with talks over a deal continuing.

And now according to Telefoot, via journalist Johnny Severin, Villa have now landed their man.

As per the report, Villa have agreed an initial €16m deal for Sanson, with bonuses taking the deal to €19m.

It’s claimed Sanson will sign a deal at Villa Park until summer 2025, worth an estimated £65,000 a week.

It’s also noted that the former France U21 midfielder was ‘convinced’ by the project presented to him by Villa.

The report concludes that Sanson will travel to England in the next 48 hours and will complete the move shortly after.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Marseille set Sanson price

Former Spurs boss Villas-Boas confirmed last weekend that there had been interest in the player.

“We’ll see. The transfer window is open, Sanson is a player who is highly rated,’ Villas-Boas said last Saturday.

Morgan Sanson

“Officially, we have not received any offers, unless it happened during the match.

“He is a boy who interests English teams because of his characteristics. It is possible that something could happen.”

However, it would that ‘something’ was a lowly offer from Villa for a player who has scored twice this season.

Sanson, who has only just returned from a muscle injury, had only 18 months left on his Marseille contract.

READ MORE: Smith hit with touchline ban and fine after accepting FA charge

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM