Crystal Palace complete deal for Ferguson with tribunal likely

Date published: Tuesday 21st July 2020 4:18

Crystal Palace have signed highly-rated defender Nathan Ferguson on a three-year deal.

The 19-year-old right-back has joined on a free transfer following the expiry of his contract at West Brom at the end of last month.

Ferguson told the club’s official website: “It’s great to be here. Crystal Palace is a great club in my opinion, and I feel like there’s a lot that I can bring to the team. I’m so happy to be here and I can’t wait to get started.”

An England youth international, Ferguson was highly-rated during his time with the Baggies, who he joined as an eight-year-old.

He made his senior debut at the start of the 2019-20 season but did not play after January due to a knee injury and left the club at the end of June after rejecting a new contract.

Chairman Steve Parish said: “Nathan is a fantastic signing for us, a player we’ve been committed to for a long time.

“He is hungry, focused, has a great attitude and he’s got an abundance of talent. It’s been a challenging six months for Nathan, and I’m genuinely so pleased for him that we have finally secured his services.”

West Brom did sanction a move to Palace during the January transfer window, with the youngster set to sign for the Premier League outfit after agreeing an £11m fee with a further £1m in add-ons.

 

 

However, the move collapsed late-on after Palace noticed a problem in the medical with his knee.

The fee for the player will be decided by a tribunal because he is under the age of 24.

Eze chase 

Meanwhile, West Ham United and Crystal Palace are reportedly leading the race to sign QPR attacker Eberechi Eze.

Eze has been one of the Championship’s star performers this season. He has scored 13 goals for a Rangers side that will finish mid-table this season.

Hie pace and trickery have seen a number of Premier League clubs sit up and take notice, including Tottenham.

Jose Mourinho’s men were thought to be the frontrunners to land the 22-year-old, who is expected to leave this summer.

But now West Ham and Palace lead the charge for a player who has a year left on his contract.

Eze has previously stated that he wants to play in the Champions League, but those hopes will have to be put on hold for now.

Hammers boss David Moyes was at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium to see Eze score against Millwall on Saturday.

QPR are expecting to fetch around £20m for Eze, although they may have to accept less given the current financial issues surrounding the game.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM