Recent Sancho reports wide of the mark as damning picture painted of Man Utd bid

Date published: Wednesday 19th August 2020 7:52

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Man Utd TEAMtalk

Initial and widespread reports of Man Utd having agreed personal terms with top target Jadon Sancho were well wide of the mark, according to TEAMtalk sources.

The Red Devils made no secret of their desire to land the 20-year-old England superstar this summer.

Prior reports had suggested personal terms between Man Utd and Sancho had been agreed, with just the fee to be paid to Dortmund holding up the deal.

But TEAMtalk has now been told this was this was not the case despite reports in Germany and from prominent social media accounts suggesting a deal had been agreed between the player and the Premier League club.

While Utd’s interest does remain strong, no deal has been agreed with the player’s advisers and a fee is yet to be agreed between the clubs.

Dortmund have made it clear that they will not sell Sancho for a fee of less than €120m this summer and have suggested they will not consider a deal for the player this year after their August 10th deadline passed without United paying their asking price.

Sancho has been playing for Dortmund in their pre-season games ahead of the new Bundesliga season, with the club insisting he is happy in Germany and in no rush to return to his homeland.

“We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season,” said Dortmund’s club’s sporting director Michael Zorc earlier this month. “The decision is final. I think that answers all our questions.

 

“Last summer we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.”

Those sentiments were echoed by Dortmund’s CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke in recent days as he stated: “We weren’t in a situation where we had to sell at any cost. We made three-digit million profits and wrote deep black numbers.

“Then corona came and everything changed a little. We have succeeded in generating such a high level of liquidity that we can withstand this pandemic for a very long time.”

With Dortmund refusing to accept anything less than their €120m asking price, it appears the player will most likely  remain in the Bundesliga for another season.

Sancho Dortmund TEAMtalk

 

Man Utd slammed by former striker

Louis Saha says he is “gutted” that his former side Manchester United have overlooked the chance to sign free agent striker Edinson Cavani.

The clinical Uruguayan is a free agent having left Paris Saint-Germain at the end of his contract.

However, he has confirmed talks with Benfica and Saha claims he would have been a fantastic signing for United.

“I think Manchester United are missing a trick by not signing Edinson Cavani this summer,” Saha told the Football Index Podcast.

Read the full story here.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM