Danish TV cull Carragher from Champions League coverage

Date published: Monday 12th March 2018 11:00

Jamie Carragher has been removed from his TV punditry commitments for the Champions League this week following Saturday’s spitting incident.

Danish channel TV3 Sport have culled him from their midweek coverage of Manchester United v Sevilla, where Carragher was due to act as a summariser.

The former Liverpool star was caught on video spitting at the passenger window of a car containing a 14-year-old Manchester United fan and her dad after Saturday’s win for Jose Mourinho’s men over the Anfield outfit.

She claimed the spit hit her on the forehead and made her cry.

The dad said “a bit of banter” with the former England defender turned ugly after he mentioned the 2-1 scoreline. And he insisted the TV pundit must have seen his daughter in the passenger seat.

Carragher, who had been covering the match for Sky Sports, phoned the girl and her father on Sunday night and said in the report in the Daily Mirror: “I just want to apologise and I hope you are OK.” The youngster told him: “OK, thanks for apologising.”

The Danish channel have moved quickly to take action against Carragher, whom the Daily Mirror claim will not lose his job at Sky Sports.

“It does not look good,” TV3 Sport executive director Peter Nørrelund told Ekstra Bladet.

“He should have been at Old Trafford tomorrow for United-Sevilla, and we have chosen to sit over.

“We have sent an employee to Liverpool so we can get the story from the horse’s mouth.”

Carragher travelled to London from Liverpool as planned on Monday morning, ready for his appearance on Monday Night Football, but he will meet Sky bosses who will make a decision on his future.

The report claims Carragher will spend two weeks off screen as part of a break that was already booked in prior to the spitting furore.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments