Diego Costa casts major doubt over Barcelona’s Griezmann deal

Date published: Wednesday 21st March 2018 6:35

Diego Costa says his Atletico Madrid strike partner Antoine Griezmann has not told him he is leaving and says he would be better off staying for another season.

Last month Griezmann wass reportedly house-hunting ahead of a summer move to Barcelona.

The France striker was apparently already on the lookout for a new residence with Don Balon claiming his transfer to Barcelona is 90% done.

Griezmann, who today said he wanted his future resolving before the World Cup, is understood to be Barcelona’s top target for the summer after the capture of Philippe Coutinho for £142million in January.

As per the report, Barca will pay Griezmann’s £88million release clause with Manchester United and Real Madrid’s interest in the 26-year-old waning.

But Costa says he knows nothing about Griezmann’s potential move to the Camp Nou.

 

“He knows that we want him, that he is a very important player. He is still with us and he has not told me he is going yet,” Costa said.

“I would be happy for him to stay, everyone has to look for the best for themselves but, in my opinion, the best for him is to stay.

“He called me every day to tell me to return to Atletico and now he’s not going to leave me. That cannot be, he is going to stay.”

Manchester United attempted to sign Griezmann last summer, but the Atletico man stayed loyal to the capital club and refused to leave them in the lurch while they were under a transfer embargo. United instead signed Romelu Lukaku and Atletico have since added Costa with their embargo lifted.

Griezmann has scored 23 goals in 38 appearances for Atletico this season after a slow start to the campaign.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM