Atletico boss fuels Diego Costa talk, as bargain deal is mooted

Date published: Thursday 1st October 2020 10:56 - Matthew Briggs

Suarez Costa Atletico TEAMtalk

Diego Simeone has done little to dampen the transfer talk surrounding Diego Costa, who could be available on a free transfer.

The 31-year-old Atletico Madrid forward has a year left on his deal at the Wanda Metropolitano. However, Atletico could let the former Chelsea striker move for free, according to AS, after the arrival of Luis Suarez.

Coach Simeone was asked about the Spain forward on Wednesday after the goalless draw with SD Huesca. Suarez started the game and was replaced by Costa just after the hour mark as Atletico struggled to breakthrough a resolute Huesca side.

And Costa’s future is up in the air.

“I’ve spoken about it a thousand times,” Simeone said when asked about Costa. “Until the market closes everything is open.”

 

 

Diario AS claim Paris Saint-Germain are the latest to be linked with Costa, who said his future was in the hands of the club.

“I have let the club decide my future. At no time did I want to fight to be a weight in here, on the contrary,” Costa told Movistar LaLiga at the weekend.

PSG favoured by Costa

“I have made it very clear to the club. I was listening that if they were going to sell me, if there was a possibility of yielding, I would leave, if they wanted the termination to go free, I would also accept it.”

PSG are understood to be Costa’s preferred destination and Diario claim his agent Jorge Mendes has “spent several days exploring the possibilities” for his client.

Tottenham were mentioned as suitors for the forward in August. The e Daily Star claimed Spurs had been offered Costa, but they have made a move for Carlos Vinicius.

The Italian press are also convinced that Jose Mourinho will sign Napoli’s exit-seeking striker Arkadiusz Milik.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM