Divock Origi sent dire Liverpool message and told why transfer is a must

Date published: Thursday 28th January 2021 12:58 - James Marshment

Divock Origi

Roberto Martinez has warned Divock Origi will likely miss out on a place in Belgium’s European Championship squad this summer unless he secures a transfer before the window shuts.

Origi finds himself linked with a plethora of clubs as the clock counts down on the January transfer window.

The Belgium international has only made 13 appearances for Liverpool this season. Prior to a rare start against Burnley last week, his Premier League contributions had only amounted to 12 minutes.

However, when his big chance came last week against the Clarets, Origi fluffed his lines. Graeme Souness admitted he knew as much too.

The likes of Inter Milan and RB Leipzig have both been strongly linked with a move for Origi this month.

And with Diogo Jota slotted in to return from injury in February, Origi could find his first-team chances further restricted were he to stay.

All things considered, his coach for Belgium, Roberto Martinez, has suggested a move away is in Origi’s best interests.

“He is a great talent,” Martinez told FCInterNews. “From a very young age he achieved a high level of performance. In 2014 he started the World Cup in Brazil; seven years have already passed.

“He remains a young athlete, who despite having scored historic goals in the Champions League and Premier League with Liverpool in the last three seasons, did not have the time expected, at least here with Belgium.”

Asked what traits in Origi he likes and why he needs to play more, Martinez has advised the player to consider his options.

“He is an athlete who is not afraid, nothing is too big for him. That is why he has had that success I was talking about before.

“What is certain though is that he would need to play more, and have a more central role. Here [with Belgium] there are many expectations regarding his decision in this transfer window.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Wijnaldum ‘not convinced’ by Liverpool offer

Meanwhile, the future of Georginho Wijnaldum continues to draw attention as he contract stalemate at Liverpool continues.

Wijnaldum is into the final six months of his contract and can sign a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs.

However, Liverpool are still giving him plenty of gametime and hope to convince him to stay. He has been with them since 2016 and has formed a key part of Jurgen Klopp’s plans.

Georginio Wijnaldum TEAMtalk

Despite this, Wijnaldum is apparently unsure about Liverpool’s project for the future. With that in mind, he is waiting for a better offer from the club – or another side.

“I’m told that in the last few weeks the situation has gotten really, really complicated with Gini Wijnaldum,” transfer expert Fabrizio Romano told Anfield Watch.

“The last offer from Liverpool was in December and the player wasn’t happy with it. As such, he’s seriously considering his future at the moment.

“He’s really respectful of the club and of the fanbase and the people around the club. He loves Liverpool which is why he’s not going to sign for a new club until he’s told Liverpool what he’s going to do.

“He’s not made his final decision yet, but it’s really, really complicated. I think that’s why Liverpool are planning to be ready in the summer in case he doesn’t sign a new deal.

“He’s not convinced about the economical part. But also about what the project is going to be in the future and what his personal life and family want. It is really difficult at the moment. I think in February we will have a decision…”

Read more, as two alternatives to Wijnaldum are identified….

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM