Borussia Dortmund are “bemused” by Manchester United’s approach to negotiations over a deal to sign Jadon Sancho, according to a report.
United remain locked in talks with Dortmund about England international Sancho, 20. However, after ramping up last week, progress has reportedly slowed.
The Red Devils and Sancho agreed personal terms recently but this week, United have complained about the deal, citing frustrations with the deal broker hired by Dortmund.
The Daily Mail claims, though, that Dortmund feel United have no reason to complain. The newspaper says the German side have not yet received a firm transfer offer from United, rubbishing claims of slow negotiating progress.
In fact, Dortmund have received no indication of where United wish to start negotiations over a deal.
What’s more, the Red Devils’ claims about wage demands holding the deal up have “raised eyebrows in Germany”.
Overall, while there was direct contact between both clubs recently, that has ended with talks now at a standstill.
While the transfer fee remains a major sticking point, United have agreed personal terms with Sancho. However, the Old Trafford club are yet to agree on a salary proposal.
United’s efforts on that side of the deal have “caused real surprise”, the Daily Mail claims. The Manchester club’s first offer would have reportedly forced Sancho to take a wage cut.
Dortmund and Sancho brushed that proposal off, with the second offer – of a package closer to the £190,000 weekly salary Sancho earns now – also rejected.
As such, talks to resolve Sancho’s personal terms are ongoing. But the pressing issue is Dortmund’s £108million valuation, which United believe to be unrealistic.
DORTMUND UNDER NO PRESSURE TO BUDGE
The latest developments mean it is up to United to reforge hope of a deal.
However, Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc expressed on Monday his confidence that Sancho would stay.
Former Red Devil Owen Hargreaves, however, has said that that statement was a bluff.