Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has suggested his side will listen to “exceptional offers” for Jadon Sancho this summer.
Sancho was United’s top target in the summer 2020 transfer window as they looked for a new right winger. However, Dortmund’s asking price was off-putting. The German giants were holding out for €120m after Sancho had scored 17 goals and provided 16 assists in last season’s Bundesliga. That was a price that United were unwilling to pay, so they shifted their attention to other targets.
But links with Sancho have not gone away. And with the winger suffering from a dip in form this season, they may be hoping to sign him for a cut-price fee.
Now it’s emerged that Dortmund would prefer to let Sancho leave rather than wave farewell to prized asset Erling Haaland.
Haaland is one of the most in-demand players in world football. Reports of a summer move has escalated with agent Mino Raiola recently embarking on a tour of Europe to speak to potential suitors.
However, Watzke claims Dortmund haven’t given any thought to selling the Norwegian. But he does admit that Sancho could end up leaving if they receive a suitable bid when the market reopens.
“We do not have a parallel plan. We’ll discuss this with Erling, his father and his agent Mino Raiola,” Watzke told Goal and DAZN. “We also want him to be happy to stay with us, to score goals for BVB next year with conviction. There is no alternative plan.”
Pressed on whether Haaland and Sancho will both still be at Dortmund next season, Watzke gave a telling response.
“I’m not getting involved in probabilities, it’s no good. Jadon Sancho has been with us much longer than Erling Haaland. We’ll have to speak to Jadon too.
“If there is an exceptional offer we will discuss it with the player and the agent, as always. Nonetheless, I am very sure that the transfer market will only run to a very limited extent this summer.
“Especially at the really big clubs you can see what kind of wounds coronavirus has inflicted, and they are not small ones that heal within two weeks.”
Sancho sale plan explained
Sancho is approaching the final two years of his contract at Dortmund. Furthermore, his stock is not quite as high now as it was in 2020 after an up and down season at Westfalenstadion.
One of their main targets is PSV starlet Donyell Malen, whom they would only be able to afford by selling Sancho. Therefore, they are waiting for a fresh bid from United.
Quite what fee Dortmund can expect to attract for Sancho remains to be seen. It’s possible though that an offer of €80m could persuade them to sell.
Furthermore, Dortmund’s form in the Bundesliga has been patchy this season to say the least. BVB are currently fifth in the table but trail fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt by seven points. As such, they look in serious danger of missing out on a Champions League place.
They face Manchester City in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. However, Sancho looks like he may miss both legs after missing the last month through injury.
Sancho didn’t train with the Borussia Dortmund squad on Sunday. Now the Bundesliga club’s interim manager Edin Terzic has hinted that the winger would not be fit to face his former side.
“With Jadon, we hope that the situation with him will change in the next seven to ten days,” Terzic said.