Manchester United have been told their pursuit of Jadon Sancho is over by his current club Borussia Dortmund.
Sancho has been United’s main priority for this transfer window. However, they have not been willing to meet the €120m asking price set by the German club.
Dortmund begin their pre-season training camp on Monday, and hence set United a deadline of that date to conclude Sancho’s future.
However, the Red Devils have not been able to agree over the England winger’s valuation. That’s despite earlier reports indicating they were just £10m away from agreeing on the upfront payment.
But now, with the deadline passing, Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has dealt a hammer blow to United’s chances of signing Sancho.
“Jadon Sancho will play with us next season,” Zorc said at a press conference on Monday. “The decision is final.
“I think that answers all the questions. Last summer we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.”
It had previously been thought that Sancho’s contract was due to expire in 2022. The fact that there is now an extra year on his deal strengthens Dortmund’s hand further.
Zorc has apparently confirmed that Sancho will be staying with them for the upcoming season. Despite the 20-year-old being present in the UK over the weekend, he has since joined up with the squad for their return to training.
Earlier reports suggested Sancho may have to hand in a transfer request to force through a move. The ex-Man City youngster has been keen on a return to England.
However, with his contractual situation now clearer, that won’t be as straight-forward. Dortmund seem certain Sancho is staying; United may have to move on to other targets.