Juventus winger Douglas Costa has responded to claims from his former agent that Manchester United were interested in signing the Brazilian earlier this summer, calling the links “baseless”.
Giovanni Branchini said that while United were the “most active team” in trying to secure a deal for Costa during the transfer window, ex-Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri was not willing to let the player leave Turin.
However, writing on his Instagram story on Monday evening, Costa responded to the quotes and said that Branchini was not the person to be commenting on his situation.
“I’m writing to deny the baseless news published today, which said I was in negotiations with some clubs during the last transfer window,” the 28-year-old said.
“Since the start of this season, I’ve been clear that I wanted to stay here to win trophies and give blood for the Juve jersey. Junior Mendoza is my only agent and the only person authorised to speak on my behalf.”
United did not splash out on Costa but did sign a winger in the transfer window in the form of Swansea City’s Daniel James, who has made a bright start to his Old Trafford career.
The Wales international, who scored the winner in his side’s 1-0 win over Belarus on Monday night, has also scored three goals in four Premier League matches so far.
Get the latest personalised Red Devils products on our new TEAMtalk Man Utd shop!