€180m transfer target Marco Asensio comments on Liverpool link

Date published: Tuesday 26th June 2018 2:05

Marco Asensio says he will hold future talks with new Real Madrid head coach Julen Lopetegui after the World Cup.

The Spain midfielder, who has appeared as a substitute in two of his nation’s three matches in the tournament so far, has been linked with a summer move to Liverpool.

And after last night’s 2-2 draw with Morocco, he was asked about his future, which he replied: “Liverpool? When the World Cup is over, we’ll talk about that sort of thing, now I’m focused on selection.

“I’m glad Julen has signed up for Real Madrid, after the World Cup we’ll talk things over with him.”

Barcelona-based paper Mundo Deportivo reported on Saturday that Liverpool had lodged a €180m bid for the Spain star and that Real were studying the offer.

Diario Gol claimed Asensio was scheduled to meet Lopetegui and president Florentino Perez after the World Cup before deciding whether to quit the club or not and that now appears to be correct although the 22-year-old is keeping his cards close to his chest.

Liverpool are understood to have tried to sign Asensio on two previous occasions. Last month, AS reported that Jurgen Klopp’s men has initially made an offer worth €50m and then after Philippe Coutinho left Anfield, they made a second offer of €150m.

Real Madrid rejected both moves, while his agent Horacio Gaggioli confirmed bids has been made for his client before the Champions League final.

“Madrid have received two offers for Marco Asensio, up to €150m, but the club rejected them,” he told Cadena SER.

Asensio, who is under contract until 2023 and has a huge €700m release clause, featured in 53 games in all competitions for Los Blancos last season, scoring 11 goals and providing six assists.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM