Edouard Mendy pays the price for rare mistake as Chelsea lose at Everton

Date published: Saturday 12th December 2020 9:55 - Samuel Bannister

Everton became the first team to beat Chelsea inside 90 minutes in 18 games by clinching a 1-0 win at Goodison Park after punishing an error by Edouard Mendy.

Everton have been trying to get back ont rack after slipping down the table in recent weeks. Before this game, they had won just one of their last seven matches.

Chelsea, in contrast, had not tasted defeat since September – and even the last game they lost only came after a penalty shootout.

Everton, though, boosted by the return of some fans to Goodison, were able to end Chelsea’s good spell, as Carlo Ancelotti oversaw a victory against his former employers.

Just one goal separated the two sides, and it came via a mistake from someone Chelsea would not have expected to let them down.

Edouard Mendy has generally been an assured presence for Chelsea since his arrival in the summer. However, he had a moment to forget just after 20 minutes.

The goalkeeper gave away a penalty after flying into Dominic Calvert-Lewin in the box. There was no debate about the decision.

Mendy would have been hoping to redeem himself by saving the resulting spot kick, but Gylfi Sigurdsson calmly sent him the wrong way.

It was a disappointing moment for Mendy, who was brought in during the summer to eradicate the kind of errors that Kepa Arrizabalaga had been making last season. The Senegal international has been an upgrade on his teammate, but showed that he has areas to improve as well.

James, Mount have chances for Chelsea

Chelsea had a couple of chances to hit back shortly, both courtesy of Reece James. The right-back saw his free kick tipped around from a corner, from which the ball dropped to him after the set piece.

James fired a shot at goal, but Jordan Pickford managed to get a slight touch to divert it onto the post and behind for another corner – which led to nothing of significance.

Richarlison had a chance to double Everton’s lead, but Mendy managed to produce an unconventional save to keep the deficit at one going into the break.

Chelsea did not make any changes at half-time, but were obviously looking to shift the momentum of the game. Their first decent chance of the second half came when Mason Mount tried to catch Pickford off his line, but his lobbed effort went over.

Everton thought they had another penalty when Ben Chilwell bundled over Calvert-Lewin in the area. This time, though, the striker was deemed to have been offside by VAR.

Mount almost caught Pickford out again when he swerved a free kick against the post as the game entered its final 10 minutes.

However, Chelsea were unable to break Everton’s resolve – failing to record a shot on target in the second half – so the hosts held on to the 1-0 win.

Related Articles