Euro Paper Talk: Barcelona eye £177m star in fresh Liverpool raid

Oli Fisher

Barcelona have hatched a plan to lure another Liverpool star to the Nou Camp, while one LaLiga outcast could well be looking for a January loan move, according to Wednesday’s European papers.

 

BARCELONA PLOT FRESH LIVERPOOL RAID

Barcelona are considering a move that would see yet another Liverpool star depart Anfield for the Nou Camp, a report claims.

We reported how former Reds star Philippe Coutinho was talking up Firmino as a long-term replacement for Luis Suarez at the Nou Camp.

According to Spanish journalist Eduardo Inda from Ok Diario, Barca want to try and bring Firmino to Spain at the end of the season.

“It’s about Firmino, Liverpool player,” he said when asked about Barcelona’s transfer plans.

“I already said that Luis Suarez is seen increasingly stubborn and they are considering doing the same operation as Coutinho.

But I guess at the end of the season, not halfway through.”

 

UNITED CLOSE ON DOUBLE EXTENSION

Manchester United forward Anthony Martial and midfielder Ander Herrera are both set to sign new contracts with the club, according to reports.

RMC Sport this week claimed the 22-year-old was ready to extend his United contract, after recently admitting that relations between himself and Jose Mourinho were never as bad as had been portrayed in the media.

And now ESPN report that Martial, who scored twice against Chelsea on Saturday, is ready to snub interest from Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich to stay at Old Trafford.

Martial’s contract is set to expire in 2019, but United can trigger a one-year extension, but they are hoping to tie him down to a new five-year deal worth at least the equivalent of the £160,000-a-week deal that Luke Shaw has just penned.

ESPN also claim United “are edging closer” towards agreeing a new deal with Ander Herrera.

The Evening Standard recently claimed that Jose Mourinho has asked for new deals for Juan Mata and Herrera, whose contract expires next summer.

LIVERPOOL SAW OBLAK EFFORTS FAIL

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak rejected the opportunity to join Liverpool this summer, according to reports both in Slovenia and Spain.

It’s reported by both AS and Ekipa that the Slovenia No 1 was Jurgen Klopp’s first choice goalkeeper target this summer, with Liverpool having contacted Atleti to express their willingness to meet the €100m exit in his contract.

Furthermore, both newspapers claim Oblak was also the subject of a firm enquiry from French giants PSG, as reported by Sport Witness.

Ekipa report how a ‘source’ close to the player says Oblak rejected Liverpool’s advances as he did not want to move to the Premier League giants, while PSG were ultimately done by FFP restrictions for not signing the man widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in LaLiga.

Liverpool of course went on to sign Alisson Becker in what was then a world-record goalkeeper fee for €75m (£67m), with their pursuit of the Brazilian well documented.

However, it’s quite some claim to suggest they could have shattered that outlay with a deal to sign Oblak for €100m.

As a footnote, it’s claimed Oblak is yet to sign a new deal with Atletico, with the club’s decision to prioritise deals for other senior stars said to have upset the Slovenian stopper, who is now unwilling to discuss an extension.

Not that Liverpool will be too disappointed: summer signing Alisson has since conceded just three goals in nine Premier League matches for Liverpool.

 

Fancy news and features on the Reds on your Facebook timeline? Like our dedicated Liverpool page.

 

AND THE REST

Roberto Donadoni is being lined up as a potential replacement for Gennaro Gattuso at AC Milan (Corriere dello Sport)

Malcom TEAMtalk

Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs target Malcom, who has an €180m release clause, could push for a January loan move if he does not get more game time under Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde (Sport)

Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is in line for a pay rise and a contract extension (Goal)

Turkish giants Fenerbahce are in talks with Manchester United over a January deal to sign Argentina defender Marcos Rojo for a €15m fee after efforts to sign him in the summer fell short (Fanatik)

Mauro Icardi denied he has any plans to leave Inter in the coming months amid reports Chelsea are preparing a €110m bid for the striker (Corriere dello Sport)

Hugo Lloris has revealed that he has no intention of ending his career at Tottenham Hotspur and says he will play on for one more season, possibly back in France, after his contract at the club expires in 2022 (Telefoot)

Tottenham have moved ahead of Chelsea in the race to sign €40m-rated Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek (De Telegraaf)

Galatasaray are emerging as rivals to Atletico Madrid, AC Milan and Inter Milan for the signing of unsettled Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas in January (Fanatik)

Cesc Fabregas Chelsea

PSG are set to meet the €150m exit fee in Antoine Griezmann’s contract as they prepare for the summer departure of Neymar (Ok Diario)

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has claimed Edinson Cavani could return to Napoli “if he doesn’t want to play for Paris Saint-Germain anymore and lowers his demands” (Le Parisien)

Juventus are set to win the race to sign Sandro Tonali, the 18-year-old Brescia midfielder who has been compared to Andrea Pirlo (Calciomercato)

Paco Alcacer insists he has no regrets from his two seasons at Barcelona and insists he improved as a player despite a lack of game time (Marca)

Liverpool scouted Hoffenheim midfielder Kerem Demirbay in Champions League action on Tuesday night amid reports Jurgen Klopp wants him as his new No 10 (Turkish Football)

Jordi Alba admits Lionel Messi’s absence from Barcelona’s team for three weeks “will be significant” – but has called on others to now step up (Marca)

Roma director Monchi admits “inconsistency” is his side’s biggest problem this season (Sky Italia)

Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema admits he ‘needs to score more goals’ after netting against Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday (AS)

Real Madrid director Emilio Butragueno insists coach Julen Lopetegui will not be fired before Sunday’s El Clasico clash against Barcelona (Movistar)

Real Madrid have reached out to former Chelsea and Juventus boss Antonio Conte a second time as they ponder life after Lopetegui (Calciomercato)

Mino Raiola is not happy with the way Roma have utilised young striker Justin Kluivert this season and is eager to set up a loan move away from the Stadio Olimpico (Gazzetta dello Sport)

Arsenal are reportedly showing an interest in Ajax defender Nicolas Tagliafico (Calciomercato)