Liverpool have brought forward their transfer plans and have launched a bid for a man who can step into Fabinho’s shoes, while fears that Jose Mourinho doesn’t fancy him will prompt one Tottenham star to quit the club in January, according to Monday’s European papers.
OPENING BID FOR SANDER BERGE MADE BY LIVERPOOL
Liverpool will delve into the transfer market in January to sign midfield cover for crocked star Fabinho – and are said to have already tabled a €25m for their No 1 pick.
Fabinho had to be taken off during the first half of the 1-1 Champions League draw against Napoli last week, and the club have now confirmed that scans have shown ankle ligament damage.
And while Liverpool have ruled the influential Brazilian out of action for December, mounting fears suggest he could face even longer on the sidelines with reports over the weekend claiming his lay-off is more likely set to be around three months.
Unsurprisingly, Jurgen Klopp is already reported to be looking at the transfer market for a replacement and Norwegian paper VG claims the Reds have identified Genk star Sander Berge as their No 1 choice.
The 21-year-old midfielder impressed in both matches against Liverpool in the Champions League, prompting Klopp to hold a talk with the former Valerenga man after the match at Anfield, when the Reds boss reportedly told him: “You are an interesting player, a very interesting player.”
And while Berge refused to reveal exactly what the German had said to him, he did admit: “It was a great moment. It is nice. You take it with a smart smile. It is nice that such a reputable trainer comes away and says something like that,” said Berge.
“But overall, it’s the team performance I’m happy with. We go ahead, get up and play evenly with Liverpool throughout the match. That’s what matters most.”
And reports now claim Liverpool have launched an opening €25m bid with the Belgian club for the midfielder in a bid to beat both Napoli and Chelsea to his signature.
It’s not known whether the approach, worth £21.3m when converted to sterling, will be enough to tempt the Belgians to cash in. However, with just 18 months left on his deal, it’s one they’ll certainly have to consider.
Former Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock also gave further credibility to claims the Reds have moved for Berge by stating he would not be surprised to see the Norwegian arrive when the transfer window opens.
He told the Liverpool Echo: “I wouldn’t expect too many people to come in because he won’t want to rock the boat too much.
“They will have already identified players for different situations, though. You have to be set up that way and you cannot be caught unawares.
“Say one of the front three gets injured, there will be already a contingency plan for that and it might not even include recruitment.
“It’s all about the next man up and clubs are always planning for what could happen next. Similar to what will be happening internally after Fabinho’s injury.”
AND THE REST
Tottenham midfielder Giovani lo Celso, 23, is considering calling time on his loan move from Real Betis and moving elsewhere amid fears Jose Mourinho doesn’t fancy him (Marca)
Juventus are ready to rival Liverpool for the signature of Fiorentina winger Federico Chiesa, who could leave La Viola at the end of the season (Calciomercato)
Bayern Munich and Juventus are both considering world-record approaches for Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah in summer 2020 (Don Balon)
Juventus are ready to rival Leeds and are keeping tabs on Rangers’ in-form midfielder Glen Kamara (Calciomercato)
Barcelona’s pursuit of Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez may be over before it begins with the Italian giants not only not willing to negotiate, but also currently in the process of talking to the Argentina forward about a huge new contract (Mundo Deportivo)
Barcelona are reportedly interested in signing Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez – while Man Utd and Man City could both make a move if Atletico Madrid gave any indication they’d be willing to sell (Don Balon)
Juventus have yet to decide whether to sell Turkey defender Merih Demiral – linked with Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal – or Italy defender Daniele Rugani – thought to be a target for Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham (Calciomercato)
Manchester United and Arsenal have reportedly sent scouts to watch CSKA Sofia’s 19-year-old defender Valentin Antov with a view to a future move (Frognews)
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has highlighted Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham as an outstanding emerging talent and a man who could potentially fill his shoes at the Nou Camp (El Desmarque)
Manchester United and Liverpool have been told to temper their expectations that Jadon Sancho will be allowed to leave Borussia Dortmund in January, by the club’s sporting director Michael Zorc (SportsBild)
Paris Saint-Germain want to make their loan deal for Sevilla goalkeeper Sergio Rico permanent (Mundo Deportivo)
Juventus are on the brink of agreeing a contract renewal with Paulo Dybala, taking the rejuvenated Argentine star through to 2024 and significantly raising his salary (Calciomercato)
Manchester United and Inter Milan are the leading suitors to sign Arturo Vidal from Barcelona in January, with the LaLiga champions seeking just €15m for the 32-year-old Chilean (FC Inter News)
Former Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho hopes to remain with Bayern Munich beyond the end of the season and the end of his loan deal from Barcelona (Marca)