Euro Paper Talk: Man Utd eye under-the-radar swoop for Milan ace

Date published: Thursday 3rd October 2019 11:55

Manchester United are using interest in other strikers as a smokescreen for their main January striker target, while Liverpool and Tottenham have learnt what a midfield recruit would cost, according to Thursday’s European papers.

 

SOLSKJAER’S TOP STRIKER TARGET IS PIATEK 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Manchester United to prioritise a move for AC Milan marksman  Krzysztof Piatek in January, a report claims.

The United manager is in the hunt for a new striker when the transfer window reopens and has been linked with the likes of Duvan Zapata, Mario Mandzukic and Moussa Dembele among others.

However, Calciomercato reckons reported interest in the trio is acting as a smokescreen for an under-the-radar transfer swoop for AC Milan striker Piatek.

The Pole is currently going through something of a goalscoring drought with just one strike in open play in his last 12 games – and that has led to talk that Milan could be willing to sell him to the highest bidder when the transfer window reopens.

Despite this, reports claimed earlier in the week that Barcelona want the Poland international to replace Luis Suarez – the latter of which was tipped for a sensational return to Liverpool as a result.

However it appears they are not alone in their pursuit, as according to reports on both Pianeta Milan and Calciomercato.it, United are also keen and are readying an opening bid of €40m (£35.6m) and could go as high as €50m (£44.5m) to land their man.

Despite his recent troubles, Piatek boasts an excellent goalscoring record with 82 goals in 204 appearances – a strike rate of a notch every 2.4 outings – and it is believed his style would be well suited to the English game.

 

Get the latest personalised Red Devils products on our new TEAMtalk Man Utd shop!

 

AND THE REST

Dinamo Zagreb have set an asking price of €35m – €40m for Spain U21 star Dani Olmo amid interest from Liverpool, Tottenham, AC Milan, Atletico Madrid and Valencia (Marca)

Dani Olmo TEAMtalk

Tottenham are willing to break their transfer record to sign €70m-rated Federico Bernardeschi from Juventus as they look to strengthen their attack in January (Calciomercato)

Real Madrid are looking to offload both Mariano Diaz and Brahim Diaz in January in order to pave the way for a raid on Tottenham for Christian Eriksen (Goal Italy)

Atalanta president Antonio Percassi has rubbished claims star striker Duvan Zapata could be lured away by Manchester United in January, amid claims of a €50m approach (Bergamo TV)

Barcelona scouts paid special attention to Inter Milan trio Milan Skriniar, Stefano Sensi and Lautaro Martinez during their clash on Wednesday – with all three players on their transfer radar (Calciomercato)

Barcelona midfielder Frenkie De Jong has expressed regret that he is no longer playing with former Ajax teammate Matthijs De Ligt and says he was desperate for him to join him at the Nou Camp this summer (Mundo Deportivo)

Chelsea winger Willian has set his heart on a move to Juventus at the end of the season on a free transfer, where he would link up with fellow Brazilians Douglas Costa and Alex Sandro (Calciomercato)

Real Madrid defender Nacho Fernandez has been ruled out until late December with knee ligament damage (Mundo Deportivo)

Lazio forward Joaquin Correa now has a €80m release clause in his new contract in an effort to keep him out of the clutches of Europe’s biggest sides (Corriere dello Sport)

Arsenal have learnt they could sign RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano for a lower fee next summer when the release clause inserted in his contract decreases (L’Equipe)

Beijing Sinobo Guoan and Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao have seen efforts to sign Gabigol rejected by the player. The Brazilian striker is still owned by Inter Milan despite him being on loan back in his homeland with Flamengo (Gazzetta dello Sport)

Juventus have scheduled contract renewal talks with 32-year-old midfielder Blaise Matuidi, with the France player’s deal expiring next summer (Calciomercato)

Juventus vice-chairman Pavel Nedved has reportedly been asked by head coach Maurizio Sarri to begin work on a €75m deal to lure N’Golo Kante away from Chelsea (various)

Antoine Griezmann admits it is ‘difficult’ for him and Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi to become close as neither of them speak a lot (Marca)

Chelsea are keen to sign Monaco’s French centre-back Benoit Badiashile, 18, if the Blues overturn their transfer ban (Le 10 Sport)

Napoli winger Dries Mertens has said that it is too early to “rule anything out” as regards his future amid rumours linking the player with a move to Manchester United (Voetbal Sport/Magazine)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM