Euro Paper Talk: Man Utd eye Plan B as Fernandes deal hits brick wall

Date published: Monday 1st July 2019 8:23

Manchester United could switch midfield targets after an opening bid fell well short, while Tottenham are getting itchy feet over a major €75m target, according to Monday’s European papers.

 

MAN UTD HIT STUMBING BLOCK OVER BRUNO FERNANDES

Manchester United’s efforts to make Sporting Libson star Bruno Fernandes their third signing of the summer appear to have hit a major brick wall with the two sides miles apart over their valuations.

United are reported to have agreed €6m a year, plus bonuses for the Portugal midfielder following talks between the club and his agent last week, with Fernandes agreeing to making the switch to Old Trafford if a fee was agreed with Sporting Lisbon.

But reports in Portugal claim United’s opening offer to Sporting is just €35m – some way short of the €80m exit clause Fernandes has in his Sporting contract.

And while it is suggested the Portuguese club would accept €70m for the prolific midfielder, United are still some way short of tempting Sporting into the sale.

As such, reports in Spain claim United are making plans to turn to Real Madrid’s Isco Alarcon as an alternative. Both Don Balon and Diario Gol claimed United were last week offered the chance to sign the Spaniard as part of Real’s attempts to lure Paul Pogba to the Bernabeu.

However, it’s now claimed United could make an outright bid for Isco in the belief that Real could cash in for around €60m.

The Spanish playmaker could be sacrificed this summer by Real as they look to claw back their enormous transfer outlays and they could be tempted to sell if the right offer is made.

Diario Gol, however, claim the 27-year-old would prefer a move to Man City, where he could step in as a replacement for compatriot David Silva, who will will leave the Etihad at the end of the 2019/20 season.

 

Get the latest personalised Red Devils products on our new TEAMtalk Man Utd shop!

 

 

ARSENAL LOOK TO MALCOM, MATUIDI

Arsenal are reportedly leading Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund in the race to sign Malcom after the Brazilian winger was told he was free to leave Barcelona this summer.

The 22-year-old forward started just six LaLiga matches under Ernesto Valverde last season following a surprise switch from Bordeaux, but now looks set to leave as Barca look to free up spaces in their squad.

With Arthur Melo and Arturo Vidal, as well as Malcom, already on Barca’s books not to hold an EU passport, one will be required to leave if Barca are to push through with the proposal to resign Neymar this summer.

And Malcom is seen as the fall-guy with Barcelona prepared to allow him to leave to free up space in their squad.

According to AS, Arsenal are leading the hunt to sign the winger, with Unai Emery particularly interested by rumours that he could be allowed to move on in an initial loan deal with a view-to-buy.

The Gunners, meanwhile, are also being mooted as suitors for Juventus midfielder Blaide Matuidi, who will be sold off this summer to free up spaces in Maurizio Sarri’s midfield.

The Gunners on Monday welcomed Aaron Ramsey to the club, while a deal for Adrien Rabiot is also well down the line. The Italian champions are, of course, also being linked with Paul Pogba.

According to Calciomercato both Matuidi and fellow midfielder Sami Khedria have been told they can leave – with cut-price fees of €20m stuck on their heads.

Arsenal are in the market for a new midfielder and are said to be keen on Matuidi as they look to fill the gap left by Ramsey and amid doubts over the future of Lucas Torreira.

 

Get the latest personalised Arsenal products on our new TEAMtalk Gunners shop!

 

AND THE REST

Tottenham are desperate to sell Christian Eriksen this summer in order to fund a €70m swoop for Real Betis’ Argentinian midfielder Giovani Lo Celso – the €75m star they see as his ideal replacement (Marca)

Atletico Madrid are poised to offer Gonzalo Higuain an escape from his Juventus hell after Chelsea opted not to make his loan move permanent (Goal)

Borussia Dortmund have launched an approach for Roma striker Patrick Schick (Kicker)

Napoli have offered Fiorentina €16m for Arsenal target Jordan Veretout (Tuttosport)

PSG are preparing a €50m offer to AC Milan for Brazilian midfielder Lucas Paqueta (Corriere dello Sport)

Real Madrid are one of eight clubs to hold an interest in Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek, rated at €65m (AS)

Borussia Dortmund have emerged as favourites to land Romania Under-21 international Ianis Hagi (Der Westen)

Mauro Icardi has rejected a move to Manchester United as part of Inter’s efforts to sign Romelu Lukaku, with the Argentine threatening to run down his contract and force through a move to Juventus (La Repubblica)

AC Milan are expected to seal the €20m signing of full-back Theo Hernandez from Real Madrid this week (AS)

Manchester United have “agreed everything” with Wissan Ben Yedder ahead of a potential move to Old Trafford for the Seville forward (La Colina de Nervion)

Agent Mino Raiola will pocket an astonishing €11m from the sale of Matthijs De Ligt from Ajax to Juventus – a 15% cut of the deal (La Stampa)

Gareth Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett has denied he has met with Italian club Inter Milan to discuss a deal for his client (Mundo Deportivo)

AC Milan have asked Real Madrid about a deal for Luka Modric and have told the Croatian they can pay him €10m a season (Gazzetta dello Sport)

Thomas Vermaelen, Douglas Pereira, Jeison Murillo and Kevin-Prince Boateng will all leave Barcelona on Monday when their contracts expire (Marca)

Moise Kean TEAMtalk

Everton are interested in Moise Kean, but Juventus want a buy-back clause in any deal (Corriere della Sera)

Celta Vigo have completed the signing of Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez on a four-year contract, having agreed a fee of €15m for the former Arsenal loanee (various)

Liverpool are open to bringing Philippe Coutinho back to Anfield this summer despite denials to the contrary (Le 10 Sport)

Roma have officially confirmed the purchase from Amadou Diawara from Napoli in a €21m deal, just a day after Kostas Manolas moved the other way (various)

Bayern Munich are leading Manchester City in the chase for Joao Cancelo (Tuttosport)

Antoine Griezmann is still expected to sign for Barcelona this week despite an 11th hour bid from Manchester United to hijack the deal (L’Equipe)

Dennis Praet TEAMtalk

Marco Giampaolo wants Sampdoria midfielder and Arsenal target Dennis Praet to lead his AC Milan midfield next season (Tuttosport)

Former Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio is in talks to terminate his Zenit St Petersburg contract early (Tuttomercatoweb)

Manchester United are still reportedly in a position to hijack Tottenham’s move for Tanguy Ndombele despite Spurs agreeing a fee with Lyon for the midfielder (L’Equipe)

Barcelona are plotting a £95million bid for Argentina international Lautaro Martinez (Radio La Red)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM