Euro Paper Talk: Tottenham to spend big as 130-goal striker deal nears

Date published: Monday 21st September 2020 12:25

Wolfsburg celeb Wout Weghorst TEAMtalk

Jose Mourinho has settled on a new striker signing with Tottenham transfer talks set to take place this week, while Jurgen Klopp’s interest in a top Canada star has been revealed, according to Monday’s Euro Paper Talk.

 

SPURS FIND NEW STRIKER IN WOUT WEGHORST

Tottenham look ready to end their hunt for a new striker with a deal for Wout Weghorst progressing nicely.

Jose Mourinho has made no secret of his wish to add another frontman to his options as cover and competition for Harry Kane.

Spurs have struggled badly whenever Kane is absent and a lack of cover has ultimately proven costly.

Mourinho is ready to generate some additional transfer funds by offloading Dele Alli. The Spurs boss has explained the thinking behind the likely exit here.

Now the Dutch media reckon funds from the sale will go towards prising 130-goal striker Weghorst for “a substantial fee”.

As per Monday’s edition of De Telegraaf, Spurs are ready to sit down with the striker about a move to north London.

They claim Weghorst is the striker Mourinho has settled on and ‘plan to recruit’ the Holland international before the window shuts.

Nothing is said about the fee, though previous reports have said Wolfsburg rate Weghorst in the €30m bracket.

The article rates Tottenham’s chances of landing the striker as ‘very realistic’.

 

Furthermore, they state a move to Tottenham would be ‘a childhood dream’ for the 28-year-old.

The striker has previously addressed his ambition to move away from Wolfsburg and play at a higher level.

“I have ambitions and I want to achieve at the highest level,” he said in July. “In the past two years I have been able to show that I can deliver at that level and that there is more to come from me.”

Standing at 6ft 6, Weghorst would offer Spurs something a little different. With 130 goals in 305 career appearances, the Dutchman certainly offers a goal-threat.

 

LIVERPOOL’S JONATHAN DAVID LINK

Jonathan David

Liverpool strongly considered a move for Jonathan David this summer, before switching attention to Diogo Jota. The Canadian forward joined Lille from Club Brugge instead. (Het Laat Nieuws)

Everton, Wolves, Leicester and Benfica are in the running to sign Jean-Clair Todibo after he made it clear he wants to leave Barcelona. (L’Equipe)

Union Berlin are closing on the signing of Liverpool striker Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi. (Kicker)

Fulham are ready to sign winger Ademola Lookman. The former Everton winger is being allowed to leave RB Leipzig. (Kicker)

Arsenal defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos has been lined up by Napoli as a replacement for Kalidou Koulibaly. (Corriere dello Sport)

 

MAX AARONS WANTED BY BARCELONA

Norwich’s Max Aarons, Ajax defender Sergino Dest or Real Betis’ Emerson are wanted by Barcelona as replacements for Nelson Semedo. (Mundo Deportivo)

Juventus could join Inter Milan in the chase for Emerson Palmieri, who could leave Chelsea this week. (Gazzetta dello Sport)

Sevilla defender Jules Kounde has agreed personal terms with Man City. The Blues, however, have seen their first offer of €55m rejected for the Frenchman. (Foot Mercato)

Andrea Pirlo has confirmed Juventus’ move for Barcelona striker Luis Suarez looks destined to fail over passport issues. (AS)

Barcelona defender Junior Firpo’s agent is in advanced talks over a move to Atalanta for the full-back. (Tuttomercatoweb)

Torino are in talks over the possible signing of Lyon central defender Joachim Andersen. (Gianluca Di Marzio)

 

LEEDS TARGET MALINOVSKYI

Leeds United have turned their attention to Atalanta midfielder Ruslan Malinovskyi as an alternative to Rodrigo De Paul. (various)

Marseille have struck a €10m deal with Brazilian side Botafogo to sign 18-year-old Brazilian attacker Luis Henrique. (RMC Sport)

Sampdoria director Carlo Osti has confirmed that forward Keita Balde should arrive from Monaco ‘over the next few days’. (Sky Italia)

Alex Telles has agreed a five-year deal with Man Utd, though the wing-back is giving little away on his future. (Sport TV)

Zinedine Zidane has confirmed he did not speak to Gareth Bale ahead of his exit to Tottenham on a season-long loan. (AS)

 

AND MORE FROM EURO PAPER TALK

Cagliari director Pierluigi Carta has confirmed Diego Godin should join the club from Inter Milan this week, while they are also pursuing Utrecht’s Gyrano Kerk. (Sky Italia)

Arturo Vidal will have a medical in Italy on Monday prior to completing a move from Barcelona to Inter Milan. (Marca)

Wolves are closing in on the signing of Nelson Semedo after making a €37million bid for the Barcelona full-back. (various)

Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne says their “devastating” new striker Victor Osimhen reminds him of Partenopei old-boy Edinson Cavani. (Sky Italia)

AC Milan midfielder Tommaso Pobega looks poised to move to Spezia on loan for the 2020/21 season. (MilanNews)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM