Everton one of three Prem sides in race for Juventus sensation eyed by Tottenham

Date published: Thursday 26th August 2021 1:18 - Dan Burnham

Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie challenges Borja Mayoral of Roma, February 2021

Everton have joined the race for a midfielder who is now being looked at by a number of Premier League sides, according to a report.

The man they are said to be in the running for is Weston McKennie. The Juventus player only made the switch from Schalke last summer but is already up for sale. He was used occasionally by Andrea Pirlo who was sacked at the end of the campaign.

New manager Massimiliano Allegri has come in and determined he is not his sort of player. As such, he would like him to be replaced.

Tuttosport are reporting the Old Lady are in discussion with several top-flight English sides as they look to fulfil Allegri’s wishes.

Tottenham have been most strongly linked to McKennie in previous reports. A swap deal with the out of favour Tanguy Ndombele has been touted.

But Juventus are reportedly in talks with the Toffees too. The absence of playmaker James Rodriguez is a potential factor behind this.

And McKennie is a useful midfield option thanks to his versatility. He can play on either flank but is most at home in the centre of the park.

Everton are joined by two further teams, though. These are Aston Villa and West Ham.

Villa were said to be exploring the option of making the 22-year-old their Jack Grealish replacement in a previous report by Calciomercato.

Weston McKennie in Juventus friendly against Atalanta

They are in profit this window thanks to the sale of Grealish. But they are not expected to make any further signings as it stands.

West Ham, meanwhile, are expected to secure Kurt Zouma from Chelsea in the not too distant future, which will leave them with limited funds, albeit some.

The Tuttosport report states the talks with the clubs are set to intensify before the transfer window closes. Juve have Borussia Dortmund’s Axel Witsel lined up as a replacement.

Benitez sends Kean message after Everton advance

Meanwhile, Rafa Benitez believes Moise Kean will learn from his red card after Everton booked their place in the Carabao Cup third round on Tuesday evening.

Andros Townsend fired the Toffees through after they overcame the straight red card shown to Kean to claim a 2-1 victory over Huddersfield at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The Italian, who had earlier had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside, allowed his frustrations to get the better of him in an off-the-ball incident.

Benitez said: “He is a young player and has to learn from it. The reaction from the players was great and you could see the reaction from the fans.”

READ MORETransfer ‘remains possible’ as Tottenham try again for long-term target

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM