Everton see increased bid for defender accepted with medical now planned

Date published: Thursday 1st October 2020 8:25

Ben Godfrey TEAMtalk

Everton are edging closer to the signing of defender Ben Godfrey after seeing a second, increased offer accepted by Norwich City.

Godfrey caught the eye during Norwich’s one-season stay in the Premier League. The England U21 international had been scouted by Manchester United, while Tottenham and even AC Milan were credited with an interest.

However, it is Everton who have emerged from the shadows and Carlo Ancelotti’s side are now on the brink of his signing.

Sky Sports reported on Wednesday that Everton had made a £26m bid for the 22-year-old centre-back. That included £20m up front, and a further £6m in add-ons.

The Canaries rejected that offer but the Daily Telegraph’s John Percy reported on Thursday evening that a breakthrough had been made.

Everton’s second bid is now reported to be £25m plus add-ons – a deal which gives the Canaries more cash up front.

Percy adds that Godfrey is now due on Merseyside for a medical in the next 24 hours. His signing could be confirmed before the weekend.

Everton, however, do have plenty of time to get the deal done though, because the domestic window for Premier League and EFL clubs does not close until October 16.

 

Ancelotti did little to quell speculation he was chasing Godfrey after Everton’s win over West Ham on Wednesday.

“I said in the past that we are looking for a centre-back because we are short there. Godfrey is a really good centre-back, but he is at this moment playing for Norwich, so I can’t say more,” said Ancelotti.

Godfrey made 30 appearances in the Premier League for Norwich last season.

 

Ancelotti explains why Calvert-Lewin has improved

Meanwhile, Ancelotti opened up on how and why Dominic Calvert-Lewin has become such a feared centre forward.

The Toffees made it six wins from six in all competitions in the new season after sinking West Ham.

Their free-scoring frontline once again impressed, with Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison combining to score all four of Everton’s goals.

Speaking after the impressive win (via The Liverpool Echo), Ancelotti said: “I’m very pleased. We played well, we had it under control. When West Ham equalised, we didn’t lose focus, concentration or motivation. It was good.”

Calvert-Lewin continued his remarkable form under the Italian, and Ancelotti pointed to how and why his centre-forward has improved so much in such a short space of time.

“He is more focused in the box,” he added. “He is efficient and really clinical. It was a fantastic first goal. He can go, he can stay (with England). It doesn’t matter, it’s not my problem.

“We started really well this season but our target is the same, to be in Europe next season. We have to be focused because the season is so long.”

 

READ MORE…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM