Ex-Everton frontman savages Ancelotti over broken promises – ‘he lied to me’

Date published: Wednesday 30th June 2021 6:57 - Steve Pearson

Joshua King and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Everton

Impending Everton free agent Joshua King has laid waste to the reputation of Carlo Ancelotti after blasting him over false promises and lies.

Ancelotti was a surprise appointment when taking charge at Goodison Park in 2019. His first full season promised much with the Toffees as high as second after 15 gameweeks. However, their form could not be sustained as Everton ultimately slipped to a disappointing 10th-placed finish.

Ancelotti left the club in the lurch when taking up an offer to return to Real Madrid in early June.

That came as a surprise to many within the game, including some, it seems, at Everton. One player who did not experience the best of times under the Italian was King.

The ex-Bournemouth forward was signed for a nominal fee in the winter window. A short-term contract was offered with King reportedly promised chances to impress by Ancelotti.

However, under Ancelotti, King was not afforded a single start. In fact, of his 11 league appearances, only one comprised more than a 30 minute run-out.

Now, speaking to Norwegian outlet Dagbladet (via the Mirror), King has blasted his former manager.

When asked if he felt he had been lied to, King replied: “Yes I do. That’s how the football world is. This is how it is when you get to the top of the real world. That’s the way it is, but no, I do not regret that I went there.

“But yes, he lied to me. But again, there are not many honest people who work in football except for the players. I had no relationship with Ancelotti.

“The gut feeling said [to join] Everton when their offer came on the table. But I had never thought that in 18 games I would not be allowed to start one.”

King rejected another offer to join Everton

King will become a free agent on July 1, and despite not being given a chance to put himself in the shop window over the last six months, is expected to have no shortage of suitors.

When asked if he regretted his Everton spell, King said: “I do not regret that I went to Everton.

“I did not get the chance, not a single start. Had I got a start and not performed, I would have understood it.

“I had another offer that gave much more security, but was told that I would get to play and that I would get the chance at Everton. But it was not delivered, so then I feel that was not the intention.

He added: “Do not trust coaches who promise you things and say you will get the chance, that you will start.”

READ MORE: Arsenal enter ‘talks’ to disrupt Everton hopes of Barcelona transfer

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM