Wednesday evening’s €35m bid for defender not enough, Everton told
Everton have been told to double their offer for Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly, claims a report, as Rafa Benitez sets about strengthening his squad.
The Senegal centre-back was thought to be a top target for Carlo Ancelotti. But when the Italian left for Real Madrid it was expected the interest in the 30-year-old defender would wane.
However, just the opposite has happened with new boss Benitez bringing Everton’s hopes of landing the defender back to life.
90min claimed that Koulibaly was still on Everton’s shortlist and is very near the top of it.
Of course, Benitez, has worked with Koulibaly before. He was Napoli’s coach when they signed the defender from Genk.
And now Calciomercato reports Napoli have rejected a bid of €35m plus performance-related bonuses. Apparently Napoli are seeking at least €60m for the player, whom they rated at close to nine figures not so long ago.
Everton’s bid, per the report, only arrived on the table on Wednesday evening, but Napoli chief Aurelio De Laurentiis has rejected the offer.
TEAMtalk: Euro Paper Talk
Jason Thornton and James Marshment from TEAMtalk discuss all the latest gossip from around the football world, including Liverpool's interest in Nicolo Barella, Jules Kounde's future and Manchester United's pursuit of Real Madrid star Raphael Varane.
With the defender’s age now going against him and his contract expiring in June 2023, Napoli have lowered their asking price. Still they are chasing more than the initial €35m offer from the Toffees.
Just how much Everton will increase their bid to is unclear.
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
Lenglet not interested in moving
They have been linked with other options, most recently a Barcelona man.
A report has detailed Everton’s interest in centre half, Clement Lenglet.
Now, Football Espana (citing Spanish outlet Diario Sport) suggest Benitez is so confident in Lenglet’s abilities that he wishes to install him as their backline’s ‘leader’.
On Lenglet-Everton rumours. Last week, player's camp said there had been interest (no names) but that they had been clear with the clubs: Lenglet is not moving this summer. Maybe that changes with big offer if Barça try and push out, but that's situ atm
— Samuel Marsden (@samuelmarsden) July 14, 2021
ESPN though have claimed the Frenchman is not keen on leaving Catalonia.
Reporter Samuel Marsden claims there has been interest in the 26-year-old, but “Lenglet is not moving this summer”.
READ MORE: West Ham join Everton, Wolves in race for prolific Euro 2020 star