Everton told to pay £40m for attacking target as talks begin

Date published: Tuesday 4th June 2019 10:26

Bertrand Traore TEAMtalk

Everton face paying up to £40m if they want to bring Lyon’s Bertrand Traore to Goodison Park, according to reports.

The Toffees are said to have already opened negotiations for the former Chelsea attacker, who currently plays in France for Lyon.

Goodison chief Marco Silva, fresh from guiding his side to an eighth-placed finish in the Premier League, wants to strengthen his forward options this summer and L’Equipe, via ​Get French Football, claims that Everton have formally opened negotiations with Lyon over the signing of Traore.

The 23-year-old previously failed to make the grade in the Premier League after coming through Chelsea’s youth academy, and was loaned out to Dutch clubs for two successive seasons before completing a permanent move to Lyon two years ago.

Traore has enjoyed greater success in Ligue 1, scoring 11 goals in 48 appearances for Lyon this season, and can play wide or as a central striker.

Silva wants another forward option to compliment star man Richarlison and youngster Dominic Calvert-Lewin, particularly given the inconsistent form of fellow attackers Bernard, Theo Walcott and Cenk Tosun.

However, a report in the Daily Mirror claims that the £25m the Toffees are looking to pay could rise to nearer £40m – a fee that Everton could decide is too steep for a player who has struggled in England before.

 

Get the latest personalised Toffees products on our new TEAMtalk Everton shop!

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM