Everton are willing to hijack Tottenham’s move for exit-bound Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, according to a report.
Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl stripped the Dane of the captaincy last month after he refused to sign a new contract, wit his current deal ending next summer.
Indeed, prior to that, Hojbjerg revealed he wants to play at an “even higher level” than he is on the south coast.
As such, any potential move for the midfielder could come this summer, with Southampton unlikely to lose out on a fee.
Reports in recent months claim Hojbjerg is Jose Mourinho’s top target ahead of the next transfer window.
According to Todofichajes, however, Everton have joined the bidding and eye a move for the 24-year-old.
The source says Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti has told his superiors that he wants to sign a player capable of “leading the midfield”.
Hojbjerg fits the bill and Everton are reportedly ready to submit an offer of €25million (£22.5million) to Southampton.
It is unclear if this bid would suffice, with previous reports saying his price lies nearer to the £30million mark.
In any case, Todofichajes adds that Everton have been working on a plan to revamp their squad for “weeks”.
Ancelotti is aiming to freshen up his team ahead of his first full season in charge. Indeed, Mourinho is in the same situation at Spurs, the managers taking over in November and December respectively.
EVERTON INJURY WORRIES CONTINUE
Everton face Southampton on Thursday night, with defender Mason Holgate to miss the game.
The Englishman suffered a knock in Monday’s 1-0 defeat to Tottenham.
Holgate’s replacement at Spurs, Yerry Mina, will likely therefore start for the first time since February.
Winger Theo Walcott is available again after his spell out since March following abdominal surgery.
However, midfielder Fabian Delph, out since February, remains an absentee with a muscle injury.