Everton regular eyes Serie A switch as two suitors are identified

Date published: Monday 5th April 2021 12:18 - Neil Foster

Richarlison, Yerry Mina, Gylfi Sigurdsson

Everton defender Yerry Mina is reportedly keen on a summer move to Italy, with a couple of big-name clubs thought to be interested.  

Mina, 26, still has two years left on his current Toffees deal having moved to Goodison Park from Barcelona in 2018. However, the Sun is reporting that the Colombia international wants a new challenge in Serie A.

Mina has made 19 Premier League appearances in 2020-2021. But he is no longer guaranteed a starting berth, with competition from Mason Holgate and Ben Godfrey.

At his best, he is still a commanding presence at the back but errors have crept into his game. Injuries have not helped and the South American could be looking for a new challenge elsewhere.

Table-topping Inter Milan and Fiorentina are the clubs said to be interested in the giant centre-back. And it was reported last week that Carlo Ancelotti might look to offload him this summer to raise funds.

The Italian tactician is thought to be keen on Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly. He knows the Senegal international well from his time in charge of the Naples outfit.

But other clubs have also been linked. Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool are thought to hold an interest.

Therefore it will be tough to lure the 29-year-old to the blue half of Liverpool. But regardless of Ancelotti’s transfer dealings, it seems as though Mina wants out after three years.

Spaniards keen on Mina

While Inter and Fiorentina ‘hold an interest’ in Mina, La Liga club Valencia have also been linked in the past. They are said to have made enquiries last summer but nothing materialised.

It is not known if the Mestalla outfit will return for the giant stopper who is expected to fetch around £20m. Mina should be in the line-up as Everton face Crystal Palace on Monday night.

He recently returned to full fitness after suffering a calf injury in February’s loss to Manchester City. They are looking to bounce back after back-to-back league losses to Chelsea and Burnley.

Kalidou Koulibaly, Ante Rebic AC Milan v Napoli March 2021

Ancelotti’s men also crashed out of the FA Cup to Manchester City on March 20 and need to get back on track. The north-west outfit are now eighth in the top-flight standings.

But they do have two games in hand on all above them bar West Ham United. Therefore qualifying for Europe is still very much on the agenda.

The manager has already stated that the clash with the Eagles is a ‘must-win’ encounter.

READ MORE: Everton told fee they must pay for striker target

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM