Patrice Evra has declared that Manchester United do not need Donny van de Beek in their ranks, after the midfielder’s struggle for game time continued.
Van de Beek has so far only made an impact as a Premier League substitute for the Red Devils since signing. Indeed, his only starts have come in the Carabao Cup.
The Dutchman‘s woes continued in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Chelsea. Amid a poor-quality attacking game from both sides, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left him on the bench.
Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Evra questioned the decision to bring the 23-year-old to Old Trafford.
“We’re talking about Van de Beek, nothing against the kid, but why have we bought him?,” the former left-back said.
“He’s watching the game from the stand every game. We don’t need him, that’s the truth.”
Van de Beek was one of five players United agreed deals for during the recent transfer window. Alongside him, full-back Alex Telles and Edinson Cavani have also entered the first team.
Meanwhile, Gary Neville also spoke about Van de Beek’s situation, admitting similar surprise to Evra.
“What is a little bit of a mystery is the use of Van de Beek since he’s been signed for £40 million,” Neville said.
“He doesn’t seem to be at the forefront of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans in every game. It’s a bit of a mystery that one.
“And the more he doesn’t start, and the more he doesn’t come on, the more you’re thinking, ‘Well £40m player, ordinarily you’d get him in the team’.
“He must be thinking: ‘What am I doing here?’ at this moment in time.”
Solskjaer confident about Van de Beek
Van de Beek’s latest snub came after he came on in the 88th minute against Paris Saint-Germain.
Solskjaer said after Saturday’s draw, though, Solskjaer said he was confident of the player’s progression.
“Don’t worry about that, he’ll get his games,” he said. “It’s easy to say who should be playing and more difficult to say who shouldn’t.”