EXCLUSIVE: Boro boss Warnock makes a move for £8m striker

Date published: Thursday 3rd September 2020 9:38

Kenneth Zohore TEAMtalk

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock’s hunt for a new striker has seen him make a move for Kenneth Zohore, TEAMtalk understands.

The 26-year-old Dane finished last season with West Bromwich Albion, having previously been at Cardiff for three years where he and Warnock worked together.

Now after the Baggies’ promotion to the top flight Zohore has been told that he is surplus to requirements with boss Slaven Bilic lining up other targets, including Huddersfield’s Karlan Grant.

In January Bilic said: “You can’t please all the players, you want them all fit and more or less everybody is going to get their chance because everybody is going to get their chance over the course of the season – especially Kenneth.”

Zohore made 17 Championship appearances, but he featured just twice in Albion’s final 16 games as they won promotion back to the Premier League.

West Brom would rather sell, but Boro will not be able afford to buy him. It’s thought Albion would want to get back the majority of the £8m they spent on the forward last summer.

 

 

As such TEAMtalk understands Boro have offered to take him on loan, and West Brom are open to the idea, although there are a number of other interested parties.

Warnock frustrated

Warnock currently has limited options up front with only youngster Ste Walker as back-up to Ashley Fletcher and Britt Assombalonga.

Meanwhile, last month TEAMtalk revealed Warnock wanted to raid his old club Cardiff City for veteran defender Sol Bamba.

Warnock agreed to remain at Boro after saving them from the drop, as we exclusively revealed. However, their plans to bring in a number of new faces has not gone to plan.

Boro have lost out on a host of deals with the likes of Lyndon Dykes, Joe Williams and Charlie Goode all going elsewhere. That’s despite our sources indicating Boro pressed hard to land them.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM