EXCLUSIVE: Rangers, Celtic on alert as wing-back rejects contract offer

Date published: Thursday 13th May 2021 11:00 - Graeme Bailey

Milton Keynes Dons starlet Matthew Sorinola has rejected their offer of a new contract and is set to leave the League One club, with a host of teams chasing his signature, we can reveal.

Sorinola has previously been chased by the likes of Chelsea, Leeds, Bournemouth and Norwich. But there are also a number of foreign clubs who are keen on the wing-back. Sorinola also has the ability to play as a full-back in a back four.

Both Rangers and Celtic have been checking on the 20-year-old – who has impressed under Russell Martin this term.

Clubs from Belgium, France and Spain are all understood to have made approaches for Sorinola. Indeed, the plater could move abroad for a minimal compensation fee.

MK Dons had offered Sorinola new terms, but he has decided that his future lies elsewhere.

We understand he is set to leave English football rather than joining an Under-23 set-up. Indeed, the player wants regular first-team game time.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Middlesbrough star told to move on

Meanwhile, in another exclusive, former Arsenal forward Chuba Akpom has been told he has no future at Middlesbrough.

The 25-year-old joined Boro last summer when they paid Greek club PAOK just under £3m for his signature. But Boro chief Neil Warnock has been left somewhat underwhelmed by the former Arsenal man. Five league goals in over 30 appearances followed this season, and now Warnock has made it clear to Akpom that he is not in his plans.

The writing may well have been on the wall for a while for Akpom as earlier this year Warnock admitted that the striker had been signed off by their recruitment team after watching videos, something he was not happy with.

Chuba Akpom TEAMtalk

We now understand that Akpom’s representatives have been charged with finding a new club for him. And already a number of teams are looking at a possible deal which is likely to be a loan as he is one of Boro’s highest earners at the club.

Millwall, QPR, Bristol City and Charlton are amongst the clubs who have been approached about the possibility of taking him. Akpom is still under contract until 2023, with the option of another 12 months.

With Akpom on his way, Warnock is looking at a total overhaul of his striking department with out-of-contract duo Ashley Fletcher and Britt Assombalonga already departed.

Warnock said at the start of April that £15m Assombalonga was unlikely to play for him again. That was after he admitted the player will leave this summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM