Fee quoted as Klopp looks to prolific winger to cover Mane, Salah absence

Date published: Wednesday 12th February 2020 6:05

Liverpool must pay at least €40million if they want to sign Ajax winger Quincy Promes this summer, according to reports.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is expected to look for a forward in the summer following the decision to move the Africa Cup of Nations back to the winter in 2021, which will see Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah depart for up to six matches in the tournament.

Indeed, several players have already been linked including Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze and RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner.

According to Russian outlet Sport.RU [via Sport Witness], Liverpool are keeping tabs on Promes ahead of a potential swoop in the summer.

Promes, who was largely quiet last season for Sevilla, has resurrected his career in Amsterdam having scored 15 goals and assisted five others in 24 appearances so far.

It is claimed that Liverpool are keen admirers and have been told by Ajax that only €40million or more will be accepted for the 28-year-old.

At that price, Promes would be a cheaper option than Chukwueze, who is reportedly valued at €60million by Villarreal.

Liverpool’s links to new additions have been met with speculation surrounding their current talent, with reports suggesting that Bayern Munich have sounded out Roberto Firmino as their top summer target.

 

 

 

Klopp’s men are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Norwich City looking to move a step closer to securing the club’s first league title in 30 years.

In other Liverpool news, CEO Peter Moore has explained why Philippe Coutinho is unlikely to return to the club.

Coutinho became one of the Reds’ best players during his time at Anfield but his exit to Barcelona made Liverpool stronger, not least by funding the signings of Virgil van Dijk and Alisson Becker.

Speaking to Soccer Laduma, Moore opened up on how Klopp’s change in style of play since Coutinho’s exit has made it harder to consider a return for the Brazilian.

Moore said: “If you recall, when he left two years ago, then it was a complete change of style of play and we [hardly] lost a game over the balance of the season.

“No disrespect to Philippe but he had a different style of play… The money came in and the money we got from Barcelona then helped fund Alisson Becker.”

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM