Ferdinand warns Woodward about giving up Man Utd chase for Sancho

Date published: Wednesday 12th August 2020 8:30

Jadon Sancho Borussia Dortmund

Rio Ferdinand believes Jadon Sancho is the “best” young player on the planet “bar none” and feels Manchester United should continue their pursuit of the winger.

Chief United negtoiator Ed Woodward is heading up talks with Borussia Dortmund over a deal for the 20-year-old.

This week, however, reports have claimed the Red Devils have become frustrated with the agent working to broker the deal. United are reportedly irked by Marco Lichtsteiner’s “slow” pace of negotiations.

As such, the deal has stalled after talks between both sides ramped up last week.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live (via BBC Sport), Ferdinand claimed United should not give up hunting a deal for Sancho.

“He is fantastic,” Ferdinand said of the England international. “If he does come he’ll be an added value in terms of quality, no doubt.

“Manchester United need top players who are going to have an effect on their first XI and I think Jadon Sancho falls into that category.

“If you look at successful Man Utd sides over the years, successful periods, there were players fighting for every position and if you substitute one out and you brought one in there was no change in the quality or the output.”

Jadon Sancho

United have found a long-missed attacking spark in recent months with the attacking trio of Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood.

Indeed, Bruno Fernandes’ arrival in January has greatly helped the creativity in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer‘s side.

Ferdinand said Solskjaer has brought back the “attacking, vibrant football” of years gone by.

He added: “That’s been the most pleasing point.

“He’s ticked a box in terms of getting the team back into the Champions League, which I think would have been his remit at the beginning when he got his hands on the reins.”

SANCHO CONSIDERING DRASTIC ACTION?

Meanwhile, another report claims Sancho is considering taking matters into his own hands to force an Old Trafford move.

The 20-year-old had strong hope of a deal going through when talks stepped up last week.

However, he has reportedly lost some of that hope this week with the talks stalling.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM