Firmino scores twice as in-form Liverpool thrash Brighton

Date published: Saturday 2nd December 2017 4:51

Liverpool collected their fifth Premier League win in six games as Roberto Firmino scored twice in a resounding 5-1 success at Brighton.

The Reds had the better of the early exchanges and opened the scoring on the half-hour mark when makeshift defender Emre Can rose highest to head home a right-wing corner.

And their lead was doubled less than 80 seconds later when an incisive break saw Mohamed Salah drive at Brighton’s defence, before he played in Philippe Coutinho on the left and his first-time ball was fired in at the back post by Firmino.

And Firmino put Liverpool 3-0 up three minutes into the restart, before the Seagulls got themselves back on the scoresheet 90 seconds later when Glenn Murray beat Simon Mignolet from the penalty spot; Jordan Henderson the man guilty of conceding the spot-kick for the Reds.

But the victory was sealed in the closing stages when Coutinho added a fourth of the afternoon, before Lewis Dunk headed into his own net to complete a satisfying afternoon for Jurgen Klopp’s in-form side.

Injuries and illness had forced Jurgen Klopp to play with two midfielders, Can and Georginio Wijnaldum, alongside his only fit centre-half, Dejan Lovren, in a makeshift back three.

But when the Reds boss has a front three in this kind of form he could probably dispense with centre-backs altogether.


See how the action unfolded and get all the reaction from the AMEX, via our Live Centre


Since losing heavily to Tottenham in mid-October, Klopp’s side have now taken 16 points from a possible 18.

It was not all plain sailing on the south coast, though. Liverpool’s unfamiliar rearguard got themselves into a mess after a quarter of an hour to almost gift Brighton a shock lead.

Wijnaldum’s pass was intercepted and the ball was moved out to Chelsea loanee Izzy Brown on the left wing, but Murray could not convert his cross.

At the other end Brighton were holding firm despite the constant probing of Salah and Coutinho.

So manager Chris Hughton will have been hugely frustrated that they fell behind to a regulation set-piece, Can nodding in Coutinho’s corner on the half hour.

Just 79 seconds later they conceded again, but this time it came from a ruthless assault from the Reds’ fearsome threesome.

Salah led the charge before feeding Coutinho who swept a first-time cross in behind the Brighton defence for Firmino to tap in from six yards.

Moments after half-time Brighton should have scored when Murray met another Brown cross but Simon Mignolet somehow kept the ball out at point-blank range.

And Brighton were immediately, and brutally, exposed once more as Salah went marauding up the field, taking four home defenders with him before slipping the ball to the unmarked Firmino to hit number three.

The Seagulls did get on the scoresheet when Jordan Henderson fouled Shane Duffy at a corner and Murray tucked away the penalty.

They almost set up a nervy finale when substitute Jose Izquierdo wriggled into the area but Trent Alexander-Arnold’s last-ditch challenge saved the Reds.

Instead Coutinho secured the points when he cheekily rolled a free-kick under the wall, and then saw his shot deflected in by Dunk to complete the scoring.

Related Articles