Talented Liverpool target does Klopp U-turn, with €40m transfer agreement struck

Date published: Tuesday 1st June 2021 3:34 - Jonny Whitfield

Florian Neuhaus Borussia Monchengladbach, Germany May 2021

Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Florian Neuhaus has reportedly decided against a move to Liverpool, instead reaching an agreement with Bayern Munich.

Midfield will become a key area of Jurgen Klopp’s squad that the Reds manager will look to address this summer. Georginio Wijnaldum is leaving, which will create a significant gap. One pundit has claimed that a rising Liverpool star could take his place. However, reports have linked the Anfield club with a swoop elsewhere.

Germany international Neuhaus is one player supposedly on Liverpool‘s radar.

The 24-year-old enjoyed a strong season, making 33 Bundesliga appearances and chipping in with six goals and six assists. As a result, he earned a place in his country’s Euro 2020 squad.

Previous claims have said that, amid interest in his services, Neuhaus would prioritise a move to Liverpool.

According to Bild (via Spox), though, the midfielder has agreed to spend one more season with Monchengladbach before signing for the German champions.

New Bayern boss Julian Nagelsmann has reportedly played a key role; the manager comes from the same area of Germany as Neuhaus, which helped tempt the midfielder.

Bild adds that the deal will be worth €40million (£34.5million) and Neuhaus will be leaving before he enters the final year of his Monchengladbach contract.

The five-time Germany international told Spox and Goal earlier this year: “I don’t want to commit myself. FC Bayern is a big club.

“I also got to know a few guys from Bayern in the national team. who only speak positively about the club. In addition, my dad is a huge Bayern fan.”

Neuhaus made his Germany debut in October last year and has racked up 116 appearances at Monchengladbach since his move there in 2017.

Liverpool star makes POTY shortlist

Mohamed Salah goal celeb TEAMtalk

Meanwhile, Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah has made the PFA’s shortlist for the Player of the Year award.

The Egyptian scored 31 goals in 51 games, proving a shining light among a massive drop in form across the board at Anfield.

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes also features on the eight-man shortlist.

READ MORE: PFA announce eight-man Player of Year shortlist; Solskjaer makes managers list

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM