Lampard with concrete update on Chelsea’s chase for exciting midfielder

Date published: Friday 24th January 2020 3:49

Boubakary Soumare TEAMtalk

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has ruled out the chance of his side making an approach for Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare this month.

Soumare has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge throughout January, having played against the Blues in the Champions League group stages earlier in the season.

Reports initially suggested that Chelsea were to battle with Manchester United for the 20-year-old’s signature, before the player himself insisted he would not be leaving this month.

Asked about a potential move for Soumare in his latest press conference, Lampard was able to provide a more definitive update.

He told reporters: “I am aware of him as a player, but he is not on our radar for this window.

“We played against him, but he is not one on the immediate radar. Albeit he is a good player, but he is another club’s player.”

Lampard was also able to confirm that striker Tammy Abraham‘s injury does not look serious, revealing that the England international has avoided a fracture to his ankle when colliding with the advertising hoardings at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

Lampard last week refused to dampen down links to wantaway Paris St Germain striker Edinson Cavani, and continues to admit the Blues are keen to recruit a forward this month.

And the Chelsea boss said Abraham’s injury is “very relevant” to the club’s striker search.

“I think the impetus to bring in a striker or players potentially that can get on the end of these chances we’re creating is there, we have to be honest,” said Lampard.

“When you’re creating 20 chances a game and not scoring enough goals that can be crucial. I don’t think it absolutely changes it but Tammy has been our main source of goals, so yes, it’s very relevant.

 

 

“I think there’s choice (in the transfer market), but it’s not the ideal window, history’s proven that.

“I think it’s about trying to get the choice right of the player we can bring in considering what’s available.

“The club know, and the games are showing that, my thoughts on that. So we’ll have to see how that goes between now and the end of the window.”

Meanwhile, Inter Milan have announced the loan signing of Chelsea’s Victor Moses until the end of the season with an option to buy.

The 29-year-old Nigeria international will team up again with former Blues boss Antonio Conte.

“It’s an honour for me to be here and be an Inter player. I’d like to thank everyone for the welcome I’ve been given, I can’t wait to start,” Moses said on Inter TV.

Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM