Furious Allardyce accuses Premier League of ‘trying to get us relegated’

Date published: Saturday 6th March 2021 12:16 - Matthew Briggs

Sam Allardyce TEAMtalk

West Brom boss Sam Allardyce has again hit out at the Premier League and feels it is pushing the Baggies towards relegation.

Allardyce’s men host Newcastle on Sunday, just 60 hours after Thursday’s 1-0 defeat to Everton.

The Toffees game was initially due to be played on March 20 but was moved forward because of Everton’s FA Cup quarter-final with Manchester City.

Albion are nine points from safety and the 17th-placed Magpies and Allardyce believes the Baggies are being treated unfairly by the Premier League.

He said: “We asked if we could play it next Monday and they said no. Then what do we have to do? Play at 12 on Sunday.

“Thank you very much. That’s really nice of you at the Premier League, helping us to get relegated or trying to get us relegated.

“That’s how it is. You can ask for different dates or times but any one we asked for has been completely ignored.”

Thursday’s defeat left the Baggies staring at an immediate return to the Sky Bet Championship.

Allardyce has targeted victory against Newcastle to keep their slim hopes of beating the drop alive as he puts his friendship with Steve Bruce on hold.

Magpies boss Bruce and Allardyce – who was in charge at St James’ Park between 2007 and 2008 – have managed 982 Premier League games between them.

He said: “We’ve had a lot of encounters and we both know that when we come to face each other we both want to win desperately, never more so than this one.

“They’ve slipped down towards the bottom three and we’ve been in it for I don’t know how long. We’re both aware what a victory would mean. So while the game is going on we won’t be friends.”

Bruce hunts for mole

Meanwhile, Bruce has problems of his own and says the club are trying to find the identity of a mole in the camp.

Bruce was asked how the Karl Darlow story hit the papers two days before the player himself knew he had been axed.

The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, who reported the story, has though revealed the Newcastle boss was not his source. Darlow was axed for the game with Wolves and the papers had it before the stopper had even been told by Bruce.

Bruce said: “I will have to say the story about Darlow that I’d go to a newspaper with an exclusive I find totally disgusting.

“If I thought I’d do that I’d resign tomorrow.

“It’s certainly not true, it’s unfair on Karl and arguably over the last 18 months that has been the most difficult decision to make.

“Yes it is true I had a row or argument with a player, the rest of it is total nonsense.

“We have to draw a line under it and move on.”

Bruce went on to address the leaks at the club which have resulted in national and local back page headlines.

Bruce said: “There is a source feeding stuff.

READ MORE…

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM