Future Man United hopes for Dalot as Solskjaer closes door on Milan

Date published: Saturday 21st November 2020 12:09

Manchester United have reportedly told AC Milan that they have no chance of signing versatile full-back Diogo Dalot on a permanent basis.

The 21-year-old is currently on loan with the San Siro giants as he looks to gain more first-team experience.

Signed from Porto in June 2018, the 21-year-old made 12 Premier League starts in his first season at Old Trafford. However, game time has dwindled since then, with only six more outings in the league.

He played the full 90 minutes of United’s 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Brighton on September 30. But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer then let him leave for Serie A, with other clubs also interested in the youngster.

Dalot has only enjoyed 19 minutes of league football with Milan, with boss Stefano Pioli using him in Europe. The Portugal Under-21 star has played every minute of their three Europa League group games this term.

He bagged his first goal for the club in a 3-0 home win over Sparta Prague on October 29. Reports claim that the Italians are keen to take him on a permanent deal. However, ESPN are reporting that United feel he still has a future at the Theatre of Dreams.

Dalot is under contract with United until the summer of 2023. There is no clause in his loan deal allowing Milan to purchase him outright at the end of the season.

The youngster is said to be ‘highly regarded’ by Solskjaer, who hopes he can become a first-team regular.

Dalot seems happy in Milan, praising the way his manager gets the best out of the players.

“Pioli keeps us all hungry,” he told Sky Sport Italia after his debut. “We are motivated to play. He gives everyone the opportunity to demonstrate what we can do, and this is fantastic.”

 

Report confirms United’s Sancho obsession

United have made no secret of their desire to sign Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho. But just how keen they are has been revealed by former striker and Bundesliga expert Jan Aage Fjortoft.

The Norwegian suggests the Old Trafford money men have lodged four separate bids for the 20-year-old. There is no timeline for when the offers were made but it seems they did not reach his £108m valuation.

Fjortoft made the claim while speaking on Fabrizio Romano’s Here We Go podcast. Sancho reportedly wants to play for the north-west giants although he remains happy at Dortmund for now.

 

READ MORE: Solskjaer has ‘no doubts’ Greenwood will return to top form

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM