Gareth Bale has done his best to clear up comments he made about his Tottenham future by insisting he is “legally bound” to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season.
Speculation over Bale‘s future has emerged in recent weeks amid his return to form for Spurs. The 31-year-old, who returned to north London in September on loan from Madrid, struggled upon his comeback. However, he has scored two goals and assisted two others in six Premier League games.
As such, he faced questions over his end-of-season plan in a press conference last week.
The Wales international said of his future: “There’s no distraction for me.
“I think the main reason I came to Spurs this year was to play football first and foremost.
“Going into the Euros I wanted to be match-fit. The original plan was to do a season at Spurs and after the Euros still have a year left at Real Madrid.
“My plan is to go back, that’s as far I have planned.”
Bale’s comments though were roundly criticised, forcing his agent Jonathan Barnett to try and clear the air.
Bale himself has now also looked to clarify his situation, insisting he meant no disrespect to Spurs.
“I think for me, first and foremost I still have this season, and I still have plenty of games to go for the Euros,” he said.
“Obviously, going into next season, legally my contract says I have to go back to Real Madrid. That is what I stated, which I don’t think is being disrespectful to anybody. That’s legally what I have to do.
Gareth Bale: Could be last chance for World Cup
Gareth Bale says Wales have improved and qualified for tournaments but admitted this could be the current group's last chance at WC qualification.
“Real Madrid are I guess my parent club and as far as I agreed I was on Tottenham on loan until the end of the season and I go back. That’s the plan so far.
“The reason I left was because I wanted to play games and get match fit and enjoy my football. Obviously come the summer I will go back to Real Madrid and we’ll go from there.
“I think the plan is to go back and then whether then I sit down with my agent is something we’ll do in the summer.”
Bale ready to boycott social media
Bale says he would be prepared to join a social media boycott to tackle online abuse.
“Were everyone to do it at once, not just one or two people, I would,” said Bale.
“If it was a campaign where a lot of influential people in sport and other forms of life on social media to make a statement then I think it could help. If that was the case I’m all for that.”
Bale addressed the issue of racism after international team-mates Ben Cabango and Rabbi Matondo were both targeted on social media platforms.
“It was not nice to wake up on Sunday to hear these things,” Bale said. “Ben, Rabbi and anyone else knows we are here to talk to them and support them if they need it.
“Something needs to happen in terms of the social media companies. Whether it is people getting an account need to put a password in.
“I think that will stop people saying things. Then you will able to trace them down and hold them accountable.”