Tottenham loanee Gareth Bale has revealed he plans to return to Real Madrid next season.
Wales captain Bale has spent the season on loan at Spurs but he has a year left on his Real contract, which expires at the end of the 2021-22 season.
“There’s no distraction for me,” Bale told a press conference ahead of Wales’ opening 2022 World Cup qualifier in Belgium.
“I think the main reason I came to Spurs this year was to play football first and foremost.
“Going into the Euros I wanted to be match-fit. The original plan was to do a season at Spurs and after the Euros still have a year left at Real Madrid.
“My plan is to go back, that’s as far I have planned.”
Bale has made 25 appearances in all competitions for Jose Mourinho’s men so far this season, scoring 10 goals and grabbing three assists. After a slow start he has started to find his feet back in England.
Mourinho and Tottenham are understood to be keen to land Bale permanently.
Eurosport claim Spurs chief Daniel Levy negotiated first refusal on Bale when he arrived last summer on loan.
Part of the loan agreement with Real Madrid was that Tottenham would have first pick over the 31-year-old when his loan expires this summer.
AS have already reported that the loan does not include an automatic option for a further extension. However, Levy did make sure Spurs had first refusal and that was key in getting the deal done last year.
Wales have suffered a double defensive blow ahead of their opening 2022 World Cup qualifier in Belgium.
Tottenham full-back Ben Davies and Luton central defender Tom Lockyer have both been ruled out of Wednesday’s Group E clash in Leuven.
A Football Association of Wales statement said: “Ben Davies and Tom Lockyer have both withdrawn from the squad due to injury.”