First Gary Cahill club goal since 2017 sees Crystal Palace sink Newcastle

Date published: Tuesday 2nd February 2021 10:13 - Isaac Johnson

Gary Cahill TEAMtalk

Gary Cahill scored his first club goal in almost four years on Tuesday night as Crystal Palace earned a 2-1 win over Newcastle United.

It was the defender’s maiden strike for the Eagles and his first at all since netting for former club Chelsea in their 3-0 win over Everton in April 2017.

Newcastle had gone ahead with barely a minute gone when Jonjo Shelvey thundered home a fantastic strike before he was outdone by Palace’s Jairo Riedewald effort, which squared the game not long before Cahill’s winner.

The rain-soaked evening got off to the perfect start for Newcastle. Shelvey scored his first Premier League goal in spectacular style, hammering home from Callum Wilson’s knockdown on ten minutes.

Jonjo Shelvey TEAMtalk

The Magpies nearly doubled their lead eight minutes later. Wilson latched onto a flat ball from Ryan Fraser, improvising a lovely back-heel that went just over the bar.

Newcastle were made to regret that near miss. Palace’s Riedewald thundered home an equaliser on 21 minutes via a helpful deflection off Ciaran Clark.

Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…

A collector’s item

The game was turned on its head just four minutes later when Cahill nodded home a Eberechi Eze free-kick to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

He last found the back of the net for his club 1,374 days ago. That header was the 50th goal of his career.

Gary Cahill TEAMtalk

Roy Hodgson’s side almost had a third through Wilfred Zaha on 27 minutes when the Ivory Coast international struck home but Michy Batshuayi was adjudged to have been offside in the build-up.

Ryan Fraser almost levelled the game once again for Newcastle ten minutes form the interval. He was presented with a great opportunity in the box but an underwhelming effort saw Palace custodian Vicente Guaita palm the ball from his goal.

A less frantic start to the second half ensued, Wilson going the closest first with his off-target header on 57 minutes.

Zaha was hooked off with what looked like a hamstring injury just before the hour mark, which rather filtered the visitors’ attacking threat.

Substitute Allan Saint-Maximin caused havoc towards the latter part of the game, forcing the opposition defence to back track desperately on numerous occasions.

Shelvey and Fabian Schar both went close for Newcastle late on too but the best chance of the half fell to Palace’s Andros Townsend.

The former Magpie somehow scuffed a shot wide from just yards out. Even Hodgson had his head in his hands.

It wouldn’t ultimately matter though, as the Eagles secured their first away win since the 5-1 thrashing of West Brom in December.

They also record back-to-back wins for the first time since the opening two fixtures of the season.

Palace sit 13th in the Premier League table while Newcastle slump to 16th.

Related Articles