Gifted but frustrating Liverpool star ‘won’t be short of offers’ as ‘price is set’

Date published: Thursday 11th February 2021 7:02 - James Marshment

Sadio Mane, Naby Keita Liverpool

One Liverpool star will find himself a man in demand this summer should Jurgen Klopp reportedly decide to cash in on him, according to pundit Kevin Campbell.

The 26-year-old signed for the Reds amid huge hype in summer 2018 from RB Leipzig.

Talk of him emulating the play of Steven Gerrard for the Reds soon followed, such had been his success in the Bundesliga. However, he has never really fulfilled his potential at Anfield.

Indeed, the Guinean star has been held back by a succession of injuries. That has led to him missing a total of 49 games since arriving at the club in a £52.75m deal.

And having only featured seven times this season, it was reported earlier this week that his time at Anfield could come to an abrupt halt. Indeed, reports this week claim the Reds are willing to sell Keita and will only seek £30m for his services.

While these reports are yet to be confirmed or denied, it wouldn’t come as a huge shock were Liverpool to cash in.

And despite Keita’s frustrating time at Anfield, Campbell insists the player won’t be short of offers were the Reds to sell him.

The pundit, speaking to Football Insider, also thinks the way Liverpool play the game has also put too much strain on his body.

“I don’t think they’ll struggle to find a suitor for him. He’ll have plenty of options,” Campbell said.

“For me, Liverpool and the demands they put on the players and the way they play… It’s obviously going to lead them to injuries. They play at such a high tempo that it’s always gonna bring them injuries.

“We’ve seen so many injuries at Liverpool this year. It was always going to catch up with some of these players.

“But I honestly do think Keita, if Liverpool wanted to move him on, would have plenty of suitors and offers. He’s a great player.”

Keita has made 71 appearances, scoring seven times during his two and a half seasons at Anfield.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Ismaila Sarr transfer collapse explained

Liverpool, meanwhile, had agreed all the major details of a contract for Ismaila Sarr before backing away from a £35million deal in September, according to the winger’s agent.

The Reds came into the summer transfer window looking to find marquee support for their front three.

Ismaila Sarr Watford

Liverpool eventually opted to bring in Diogo Jota from Wolves in a £41million deal. Indeed, the 24-year-old‘s arrival came only a day after Jurgen Klopp added Bayern Munich’s Thiago Alcantara to his ranks.

Nevertheless, Sarr’s agent has now revealed how close Liverpool came to spending £35million on his client. Thierno Seydi also revealed how he got the Senegalese‘s compatriot, Sadio Mane, involved.

“With Liverpool, we were at the stage of signing the contract to bind the Reds to Ismaila Sarr,” the agent told Pan African Football.

“Everything was set, the monthly salary and the length of the deal. I even asked Sadio Mane to find him an apartment.

“But in the end, the English club were unable to put 40m euros on the table to finalise the deal.”

READ MORE: ‘Best buddy’ Lovren makes definitive prediction over Salah’s Liverpool exit

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM