Gillingham go top, Wigan fight back

Jake Hessenthaler’s second-half goal sent Gillingham to the top of League One after a 1-0 victory over Doncaster, while Wigan came from 2-0 down to beat Chesterfield 3-2.

Hessenthaler’s strike was deemed to have crossed the line after 66 minutes for the Gills, who leapfrogged previous leaders Walsall and maintained their unbeaten start to the season.

Walsall’s shock 1-0 defeat to Bury paved the way for Gillingham to snatch top spot as the curse of winning the manager of the month award hit Dean Smith.

It was the Saddlers’ first league defeat of the season and the first league win for the Shakers who defended superbly once they went ahead in the sixth minute with a strike from Craig Jones.

An astonishing late fightback from Wigan saw them earn an unlikely 3-2 victory at Chesterfield.

The Spireites were coasting with 80 minutes on the clock, leading courtesy of a Dan Gardner stunner and a Leon Barnett own goal.

But Barnett got the comeback going before Craig Davies, against his old club, levelled things up from the penalty spot and substitute Jordy Hiwula won it for Wigan in the 90th minute.

Wes Thomas and Nick Ajose made quick impressions on their Swindon debuts as they bagged late strikes to secure a 3-1 win at struggling Crewe, with Tom Smith scoring Swindon’s other goal and Adam King notching a consolation for the hosts.

Shrewsbury stunned Barnsley to pick up their first win of the season at Oakwell, with Jordan Clark’s last-minute strike sealing a 2-1 success after Sam Winnall cancelled out Mark Ellis’ opener.

Southend beat Peterborough by the same scoreline thanks to goals from Adam Barrett and Noel Hunt, while Marcus Maddison pulled one back late on for Posh.

Ten-man Oldham lost their unbeaten start to the league season with a 2-1 home defeat to Bradford.

The visitors went ahead in the 21st minute as Oldham failed to defend a free-kick and, after Mark Marshall fed the ball back across, defender Reece Burke calmly slotted in from 10 yards.

Oldham’s troubles deepened in the 34th minute when striker Jonathan Forte tangled with Bradford captain Stephen Darby and was shown a straight red card for thrusting his head towards his opponent’s face.

Bradford doubled their lead in the 63rd minute as Billy Knott’s pass found Devante Cole, who finished smartly with a delicate angled shot from 10 yards. Joseph Mills netted a consolation.

Fleetwood salvaged a 1-1 draw with Rochdale, with Jamille Matt equalising in the 87th minute after Peter Vincenti broke the deadlock after 55 minutes with Ian Henderson having an injury–time penalty saved by home goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.

Elsewhere, Blackpool claimed their first league victory of the season courtesy of Brad Potts’ strike in a 1-0 win at Scunthorpe.